4 Hi Headlight Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randyzzz

Reaction score
DDRLs are primarily a propaganda device, a way for manufacturers to claim "safety" while keeping the costs WAY DOWN.

There's no real point to them, and they're annoying as hell for other motorists.
I will agree, although I did disable them initially and it was like I became invisible. I have to believe other drivers do notice them. With them disabled, people pulled out in front of me more often. So I want to keep some iteration of them.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the issue that you're less visible, or that we have too much distracting crap along the roadsides? I believe in sign size limits and eliminating billboards.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Is the issue that you're less visible, or that we have too much distracting crap along the roadsides? I believe in sign size limits and eliminating billboards.
Don't know how it is in Oklahoma, but in Houston area there are plenty of poorly lit streets, crappy pavement and potholes, distracted drivers, idiots who don't have any lights on when it's been dark for hours, and the boy racers and bro dozers. Often it takes all three of us to watch all directions; people are bad about coming up on you real fast, before you can see them.

Randyzzz

Reaction score
Here’s the beginning of my solution. I installed Carifex LED bulbs, and didn’t want them on all the time. So I created a “breakout” harness. I gutted a 280 style relay and jumped the headlamp terminals so the headlamps are only controlled by the headlamp switch. I then soldered in the leads from a relay holder so I could reinstall the DRL relay remotely. The soldered wires were potted in epoxy and the relay cover drilled and reinstalled. So now during daytime, the DRL power is routed to the red wire shown. I am considering doing switchback style bulbs for the inner park/turn bulbs under the high beams. That way they will be white when the DRL’s are on and flash amber for the turn signals. I’ll post up pics once I get that done
You must be registered for see images attach