4.3 TBI problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought my truck a 92,000 miles and it ran smooth as can be... A few months later it started idling a little rough and developed a slight tick at hot idle (Goes away with any throttle). Now at 107K I've done plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, and ran some Sea Foam through the TB. Still idles rough (No change from before) and just recently it started ticking regardless of engine temp but it's no louder and still goes away with throttle. Intake manifold is leaking coolant behind the p/s pump but I don't think it's related?

Ideas? My last 4.3 developed the exact same tick after I bought it and I never figured out what it was.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tick is most noticeable from underneath the truck and seems to be coming from the right hand side. The rough idle is "coming through the exhaust"... Engine runs only a little rough but the exhaust is quite rough indeed.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exhaust vid... My phone won't pickup the ticking noise

You must be registered for see images attach

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you checked your valve adjustment? Loose valve adjustment could create a tick and rough idle.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you checked your valve adjustment? Loose valve adjustment could create a tick and rough idle.

No... Wouldn't that take longer than a few months to happen? Bought the truck in July and it was running rough by Christmas.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No... Wouldn't that take longer than a few months to happen? Bought the truck in July and it was running rough by Christmas.

All things wearing and functioning normally, yes. But a loose valve as a precursor to a pulled stud, rocker that's cracked/bent, collapsed lifter, or wiped cam lobe, then it can happen rather quickly.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All things wearing and functioning normally, yes. But a loose valve as a precursor to a pulled stud, rocker that's cracked/bent, collapsed lifter, or wiped cam lobe, then it can happen rather quickly.

Hmm...

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could verify with a compression test. That way you would at least have a basis for opening up the engine beyond opinion and conjecture.