4.3 exhaust modifications. . . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDHenry6

Reaction score
Marshfield, WI. Born and raised in Central PA.
Ok so, here goes.

The truck is a 1992 4.3 V6 with a 5 speed manual. The exhaust that came with it when I bought it is as follows :

Stock manifolds
Stock Y pipe
Stock ancient catalytic converter ( semi plugged up, can tell after an hour of highway driving )

From the cat, it branches to another Y with glasspacks ( brand unknown , but look like 24' long, )
Pipe
12" long 3" outside diameter tips.

I am seriously considering a cat delete, with a straight pipe welded in its place. A shadetree mechanic friend of mine told me to just ram a pipe through the cat, but I know that an expansion chamber is NOT good for a V6, s I'm hesitant to go that route. Also, I'm pretty sure that I'll never get those bolts off and that cat will have to come off with a Sawzall, so I might as well do the pipe, anyhow.

My question is this : I'm pretty sure that the downpipe is a 3' pipe, do I want to make the cat delete pipe 3', or should I reduce it because of the 262 V6's sensitivity to backpressure ? I know that they're more tempermental than a 350 V8 that way. . . .

What are the board's thoughts on this ?

Also, replacement cat is NOT an option; I am aware of the legal and environmental ramifications of a cat delete, etc.

CDHenry6

Reaction score
No one has any thoughts on this ? Nobody ?

My Google-fu must be weak, because I have been fervently researching this to no avail. I'm just trying to figure out if I need a reducer or not. I also may be mistaken on the pipe diameters .

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just replace the cat with a section of pipe the same diameter as what's there. It will be perfectly fine....

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree that welding a pipe in the cats place is the best. But pounding a pipe through is the same thing having a pipe in its place. It won't make a expansion chamber.

CDHenry6

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, folks. MANY many years ago in my teens I had a Buick with a V6 and dinked around with the exhaust, and I wound up making it gutless as all hell. I was trying to NOT replicate that event.

So just to clarify, the pipe I am replacing the cat with should be the same diameter as the existing factory Y-pipe, correct ?

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As long as whatever you change the diameter to it stats the same the rest of the way you should be fine.

CDHenry6

Reaction score
Well , three hours on my back laying on cardboard above the snow with a (very dull) hacksaw and I made the first cut at the Y pipe. It looks like it's 2.5" diameter so I ran to Fleet Farm for a pipe and clamp until I get it welded. I took the clamps of after the cat to discover that . . . . . apparently they welded AND clamped the joint there . I guess, there's nothing wrong with being thorough, unless you're the guy un-doing all of the work.

Last edited: