37x12.5x16.5 on stock wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1988GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to be getting a set of 90% tread 37x12.5x16.5 tires cheap and want to run them on my truck. The rims I have are 16.5" off of a 85 3/4 ton and they are the stock wheels. I don't know the width of these wheels as I have not picked them up yet. Can I run them on these wheels or should I but wheels and if so how wide? Thanks for the replies in advance

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stock rims are probably around 7" wide. A 12.5" wide tire may be pushing it a little. I'm not sure I'd feel real comfortable running them.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it would look kind of like this.
You must be registered for see images attach

1988GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stock rims are probably around 7" wide. A 12.5" wide tire may be pushing it a little. I'm not sure I'd feel real comfortable running them.

Thats kind of what I was thinking I just saw on summitracing.com a set 9.75" wide and 4.5" back spacing would those work?

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd say that those would be just about the perfect width. I think for a 12.5" wide tire you'd want somewhere between a 8 and 10 inch rim.

1988GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd say that those would be just about the perfect width. I think for a 12.5" wide tire you'd want somewhere between a 8 and 10 inch rim.

Thanks I think I will spend the extra money and get those wheels just so I know its safe and don't have to worry about popping a bead.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
They would be fine, i have run a 33*12.50 on a 4" spare wheel for a nissan. They would look about like those mickey thompsons on that black truck posted earlier. This is not an "approved" setup, but other than being a PITA to mount, i have never seen skinny wheels with wide tires caues issues. If you are more comfortable with wider wheels, by all means get them. They will look much better and give you some stance. If you think clerance may be an issue, you may wanna stick with the stock offset wheels. You can tuck alot more tire on a stock wheel than on a negative offset one.

1988GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They would be fine, i have run a 33*12.50 on a 4" spare wheel for a nissan. They would look about like those mickey thompsons on that black truck posted earlier. This is not an "approved" setup, but other than being a PITA to mount, i have never seen skinny wheels with wide tires caues issues. If you are more comfortable with wider wheels, by all means get them. They will look much better and give you some stance. If you think clerance may be an issue, you may wanna stick with the stock offset wheels. You can tuck alot more tire on a stock wheel than on a negative offset one.

I would rather be safe than sorry since I will be offroading and possible airing down a bit on the trail. Plus they aint that expensive.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nothing to worry about, I ran 35x15.50x16.5 on 8.25 wide wheels for years.