3500HD with a new nose.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You can see the double-wall frame section in this pic; it starts about midway under the cab and comes back several feet. Braces the area where the frame might otherwise flex under a seriously heavy load. This is a '95 model with the 84" cab-to-axle measurement; 2' longer than the short wheelbase trucks like my old black one. Pic taken right after I installed my freshly polished set of Alcoa's!

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Hi Richard, they were all reg cabs weren't they?

I don't think they came in extended or crew.

Just curious...

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
All regular cabs at first, never extended cabs, and years later (Vortec era) crew cabs though they're far less common than the regular cabs. More than a few extended cabs have been custom made by owners. That extra 2' length difference between the 135.5" and 183.5" wheelbase is just right to plop an extended cab down on top of and install a bed that you would normally use on the 135.5.

Richard

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Yeah they do... I think that's the reason for the spacer between the grille and bumper I believe they we're factory body lifted or something if that sort. But I think they are mostly all two wheel drive so the solid front axle isn't anything to get super excited about. But I don't know enough about those to tell you anything for sure, I could he completely wrong on all of it. Just seems like I read all that somewhere :shrug:

Sent from the big block!

No, the frame is that much taller. If you ever saw the frame on these, it's massive. Solid front drop axle on leafs, D80 rear axle.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If/When my next camper outgrows my current 1 ton, I would love to build a crew cab 3500HD for use as the tow rig.

There is another person over on 3500HD that did exactly what I would do; Rayjon, I believe is his user name. Not the one with the flat bed, but the one that he used an 8 ft bed and cut down the dually fenders on it.

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
Raymo is who you're thinking of.

fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/projects-builds-restorations/458457-raymos-3500-hd-rebuild-cummins-conversion.html

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Raymo did some crazy work on those fenders, came out very very nice.

Something to keep in mind about building a 3500HD for anything other than a work truck that will be constantly loaded down, or upfitted with a heavy bed like a wrecker unit or service body, the way these trucks are sprung will beat you to freaking death if you run around unloaded. I'm no wuss, I like my trucks to ride firm, but the HD's were never meant to run around nekkid.

Richard

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Had an '86 8600gvw 3/4. Camper Special. 350 t400 FF rear end. With an 8' camper, it got around 8mpg. Empty? 9mpg.
That thing was a Truck! In 13 years I don't think I ever managed to overload it. Even with a Hobart generator that had to be dropped in with a loader.
My sister wouldn't ride in it. Said it made her **** hurt.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
The radiator and core support are approximately 2" taller and sits down below the core support a little bit, requiring a taller neck than other radiators too. There are a host of unique parts on these trucks but really once you get above the frame/suspension, they're *mostly* GMT400.

Richard

Well that def supports a theory i had. I have been considering doing a 2" body lift on my K1500 Diesel and i had a feeling that a Rad and support from a 3500HD would be just the ticket to maintain cooling as it is ment to be...sounds like i may be right on that idea. I know i will need to mod the rad support to make it work the way i want to...but then again i could always add the extra height into my existing one and use a radiator for a 3500HD with the 4L80E.