3500HD with a new nose.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
I did hear of a few guys with 8.1s, but IIRC one guy with an 8.1 thought he had an Allison and it ended up being a 4L80.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
So these are all goofy then dont really share many similaritys with other 400's

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
They were meant to bridge the gap between the standard C/K 3500 and the Top Kick/Kodiak, so there's going to be a lot of differences.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
The 3500HD had more in common with the Topkick/Kodiak then it did with our GMT400 pickups. The frame was the standard chassis cab narrow width but similar in design to the larger trucks. The main reason for the filler piece iirc is due to the taller frame rails that had a drop section in the front to allow for a larger rad support and radiator. Most 3500HDs are rated around 15K weight capacity. Cant remember how much taller the rad and radiator are but if they were easier to find it would def be a great way to body lift a 6.5 powered pick up since the bigger rad would allow for no loss in cooling due to the BL.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah it's just an undriven drop axle like you'd find in a heavy duty truck.
Yeah I said STRAIGHT axle and somebody got excited and turned it into "solid" axle. :D

What engines were in trucks like the black one?
Like someone else said, 7.4, 6.5TD, and for 2001-2002 the 8.1 instead of the 7.4. ALLEGEDLY the 5.7 was available but when these trucks first began production in 1991 the beefed-up version of the 5.7 wasn't available yet, nor was the 6.5TD, so they were all 7.4's. I have personally never seen one factory-equipped with a 5.7; there are many out there that were 6.5TD's that blew up and got a 5.7 dropped in - but so far none I've seen have a 5.7 indicated by the VIN. Oh, and on the transmission issue; all manual trans versions were NV4500 5 speed granny/overdrive, or automatic with the 4L80E - I THINK but not 100% sure that the dividing line on the ones that got Allisons were 2002 only but have no firm proof yet. Regardless all of the transmissions were unique to the HD's as they had an extended tailshaft with a cable-operated drum parking brake at the rear of it, since there's no park brake provision on the 4 wheel disc brakes used.

The 3500HD had more in common with the Topkick/Kodiak then it did with our GMT400 pickups. The frame was the standard chassis cab narrow width but similar in design to the larger trucks. The main reason for the filler piece iirc is due to the taller frame rails that had a drop section in the front to allow for a larger rad support and radiator. Most 3500HDs are rated around 15K weight capacity. Cant remember how much taller the rad and radiator are but if they were easier to find it would def be a great way to body lift a 6.5 powered pick up since the bigger rad would allow for no loss in cooling due to the BL.
Straight from the GM design document filed with ASE, they were meant to be a truck that had a medium duty type load capacity (15,000 lbs GVWR) but with a lower entry height closer to a 1 ton truck - and to use as many stock parts as possible from the existing light truck line. Obviously it did require its own unique frame which is yet again different from the regular 1 ton chassis cab frame, in that it's got the straight front axle and the Dana 80 rear, monstrous spring packs that are 3" wide vs. 2" on lighter trucks, 4 wheel vented disc brakes, and on some models a few years into production - double wall frame from about midways under the cab, all the way back.

The radiator and core support are approximately 2" taller and sits down below the core support a little bit, requiring a taller neck than other radiators too. There are a host of unique parts on these trucks but really once you get above the frame/suspension, they're *mostly* GMT400.

While my black one was pictured with the "diesel" bumper that has the extra cooling holes, the 3500HD's did not come with these from the factory as there's no way to route the plastic ductwork that goes behind those on lighter diesel trucks. I added it just because I liked it. :D GM determined the extra cooling holes in that taller filler were adequate.

If you can't tell, I freaking LOVE 3500HD's, they are absolute true workhorses that have never been seen in the market since. What GM calls 3500HD in the GMT800's and up are nothing but glorified 3500's, the proof is in the GVWR and how they're equipped. Ford's F450SD is the nearest competitor and they are weak in reality although the specs are very similar. Haven't been able to play with the relatively new Dodge 4500's so I dunno how those pan out but people do seem to like them.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can see the double-wall frame section in this pic; it starts about midway under the cab and comes back several feet. Braces the area where the frame might otherwise flex under a seriously heavy load. This is a '95 model with the 84" cab-to-axle measurement; 2' longer than the short wheelbase trucks like my old black one. Pic taken right after I installed my freshly polished set of Alcoa's!

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard