350 Vortec to TBI conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would this be the smarter way to go? Would the Vortec intake bolt up to the heads on the TBI engine? Would I swap the transmission valve body?

By the way, I'm not exactly sure what killed the original engine. The only thing I know for sure is that it exploded during start up and that it broke the 2 rods on the front 2 cylinders. I suspect that the engine hydrolocked during start-up. I originally thought that the intake manifold gasket was to blame but it had been replaced earlier. So maybe the heads were the culprit? I checked them carefully but could not find anything wrong with them.

To use the Vortec induction system you'll need the heads (the intake won't bolt up to the TBI heads, and vice versa) the Vortec crank reluctor, a new Vortec timing cover (they're one use only), and all of the other sensors on the Vortec motor. You'll need to check the heads and rebuild them if necessary. Swapping the cam and lifters would be a good idea, as well as a new timing set. Aside from a compression difference due to the pistons, it should run fine. I can't answer for the trans. I, personally, would rebuild the late model trans, but it's your call.

You say that the FRONT two cylinders broke their rods. Do you mean cylinders 1 and 2, or the first two cylinders of one bank?

Edahall

Reaction score
To use the Vortec induction system you'll need the heads (the intake won't bolt up to the TBI heads, and vice versa) the Vortec crank reluctor, a new Vortec timing cover (they're one use only), and all of the other sensors on the Vortec motor. You'll need to check the heads and rebuild them if necessary. Swapping the cam and lifters would be a good idea, as well as a new timing set. Aside from a compression difference due to the pistons, it should run fine. I can't answer for the trans. I, personally, would rebuild the late model trans, but it's your call.

You say that the FRONT two cylinders broke their rods. Do you mean cylinders 1 and 2, or the first two cylinders of one bank?

I mean cylinders 1 (right) and 2 (left).

Any chance the Vortec cylinder heads are still OK. They've got 160k miles on them. If there are cracks between the valve seats, would they be visible?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean cylinders 1 (right) and 2 (left).

Any chance the Vortec cylinder heads are still OK. They've got 160k miles on them. If there are cracks between the valve seats, would they be visible?

Possibly. Take the to a machine shop and have them cleaned and magnafluxed. They will be able to find any cracks, even those that are otherwise invisible. If they give them a clean bill of health, then all you need are some new valve stem seals (which generally come with any quality head gasket set) and you're set.

Edahall

Reaction score
Possibly. Take the to a machine shop and have them cleaned and magnafluxed. They will be able to find any cracks, even those that are otherwise invisible. If they give them a clean bill of health, then all you need are some new valve stem seals (which generally come with any quality head gasket set) and you're set.

Excellent, I think this is exactly what I'll do. I found a place that sells Vortec 350 short blocks for $150 and they'll magnaflux the heads.

Based on all the responses, it looks like I'm better off to keep this truck Vortec. And the 350 TBI will go into my 1972 Chevy truck instead.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent, I think this is exactly what I'll do. I found a place that sells Vortec 350 short blocks for $150 and they'll magnaflux the heads.

Based on all the responses, it looks like I'm better off to keep this truck Vortec. And the 350 TBI will go into my 1972 Chevy truck instead.

Now THAT is a plan I can get behind! :cheers: Good luck!