350 TBI starting issues....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Holding the throttle pedal while cranking tells the computer to increase injector pulse width (add more fuel) and this can cause a flooding issue.

I thought it did the opposite on these trucks? I seem to remember reading somewhere that holding the pedal while cranking in these would actually cut fuel and help you alleviate flooding issues.

EDIT - That's OBD2 Vortec trucks, forgot we were talking about a TBI here. Not sure if they behave the same way or not.

Last edited:

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I thought it did the opposite on these trucks? I seem to remember reading somewhere that holding the pedal while cranking in these would actually cut fuel and help you alleviate flooding issues.

EDIT - That's OBD2 Vortec trucks, forgot we were talking about a TBI here. Not sure if they behave the same way or not.

TBI trucks have clear flood mode. Hold the pedal to the floor while cranking and the ECM sees low rpm's and high TPS and turns the fuel off.

GunsNTrucks

Reaction score
I would try something simple 1st. It sounds to me like the fuel pump relay. Basicly there are 2 circuts from the pump to the TB. Ine goes through the oil pressure circuit. GM designed it so that if the system sensed no oil pressure then it would shut off the fuel. When you crank and crank the motor, you build enough oil pressure for the fuel pump to kick in, so the motor starts.

I had the same issue on my 88 350. After a lot of messing around that simple switch fixed it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would try something simple 1st. It sounds to me like the fuel pump relay. Basicly there are 2 circuts from the pump to the TB. Ine goes through the oil pressure circuit. GM designed it so that if the system sensed no oil pressure then it would shut off the fuel. When you crank and crank the motor, you build enough oil pressure for the fuel pump to kick in, so the motor starts.

I had the same issue on my 88 350. After a lot of messing around that simple switch fixed it.
Not exactly correct. The oil pressure switch cannot turn the pump OFF. It can turn the pump ON even if the fuel pump relay or harness or the ECM fuel pump relay driver circuitry is defective.

The symptom of failure in the fuel pump relay system is a long "crank" time, generally in conjunction with no 2-second fuel pump prime when the key is first turned to "ON" or "Crank".

The FIRST thing would be to test fuel pressure--assure there's a 2-second prime, and then that the fuel pump achieves proper pressure and volume while cranking and running. You'd want to verify that the pressure is within spec even under heavy load and high RPM.

If you have fuel pressure during prime and during cranking, I'd be looking at "tune-up" issues--failed cap 'n' rotor, weak coil, defective plug wires, fouled or worn plugs, etc.

NO fuel pressure until oil pressure builds, and no spark during cranking is likely the pickup coil in the distributor--although it's possible (not likely) to be an ignition module problem or ECM/wiring harness problem.

A scan tool to peek at the data stream could be very useful. I'd pay particular attention to cranking rpm, engine coolant temperature, and short- and long-term fuel trims.

DESSERTNOVA

Reaction score
The system has a min fuel pressure for first inject command, this can be over run with a shot of starter fluid because the ecu sees the crank signal increase past cranking and over rides the pressure to first injection requirement. Best advise add a fuel pressure gage you can see from your seat for some testing as it is intermittent may take a few cold starts to te occur. Historicall I would plumb the gage and tape it to your wiper or cowl so you can monitor.

MRAJB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having similar issues on my 2000 k2500. Did the OP ever find a solution?