350 TBI need help. Crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys needing some help on my truck. 92 250 tbi with 323,000km.

Other day we had went out for a drive and everything was normal, stopped at a gas station and tried to fire it up but did not start. After cranking for a little bit we waited maybe 1/2 a minute. Went to start, it cranked for a little and had started. After we brought it home I shut it off to see if it would start. I tried 3 times and started each time, but now it takes slightly longer to crank then starts, and it revs up higher after it starts.

What could be some problems? It would either be no spark or no fuel. I was wondering if the fuel pump was starting to go. I checked only 2 spark plugs. 1 was carbon fouled and other had normal wear. (I checked these 2 plugs before anything happened). I do not think anything on ignition side had been replaced in a while and thought it was to blame.

What are some things I can do to find the problem?

I have not started the truck since, so I will see tomorrow what happens and what it does.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Pull the ignition control module and take it to a parts store that can test them.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If this helps at all, It has had no problems since I owned.

Also, where is the ICM located -- I believe that it is in the distributor?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Check all the plug wires

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
The icm is under the cap of the distributor.

Small thin and flat with 2 plugs in it.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today I bought spark plugs, and dist. cap/rotor. I know the ignition system has not been touched for awhile so I will work on it this Monday, will get plug wires next time we go to the city. The truck also has not done what it did again (Crank. no start).... Knock on wood.

I`ll come back later with pictures of the condition of the plugs and cap. Hoping that what happened with the crank no start, was a glitch in the electronic system and did not allow any spark.

(Months ago we had 1 problem. I assume there was a short circuit in the electronic system with the truck, and the battery had been drained. After we fire it up by a jump start with another vehicle, it started up. The only problem was that all of the heater/AC controls did not work. The screen lit up but that is it, pressed buttons for higher heat/lower heat and nothing. None of the buttons worked for the heater/AC controls. Radio controls worked fine. After we disconnected battery and charged it worked again. I think it must have reset the computers or something. )

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Either it's not getting spark or fuel. First, I would say it's ICM.

After that, how long has it been since you replaced the fuel filter? If it's been a while, you could be blowing your fuel relay. Easiest way to check is to take the air cleaner lid off and see if the injectors are spraying fuel. If they are, then it's spark related.

Scotty.92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Either it's not getting spark or fuel. First, I would say it's ICM.

After that, how long has it been since you replaced the fuel filter? If it's been a while, you could be blowing your fuel relay. Easiest way to check is to take the air cleaner lid off and see if the injectors are spraying fuel. If they are, then it's spark related.

Alright, just had it running. What it did for the 2nd time today is I had let it idle to warm up the motor, when it gets to about full operating temp it will stall. (Does not stumble, just an immediate stall). After it stalls it will not run. I had my father turn over the motor and looked into the TBI. I did NOT see any fuel being squirted from either injector.

I am not sure about the fuel filter though, I had only owned the truck for a few months. What could be happening by no fuel being sprayed?