350 motor question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92chevy

Reaction score
hey guys I'm new to the site and I'm not sure if I'm in the right place or not but I'll try any way. What I have is a 1992 Chevy k1500 z71 6" lift and 35" tires. I'm getting ready to drop a crate in it and I have a short block , I personally want to put new heads cam and intake on it I'm shooting for torque not speed. I was wondering if Amy one had any suggestions? Thanks for your time

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
if you want torque then a gear swap is what you want, you are already at the limit of that 1/2 ton stuff with those 35's so adding more motor will just kill the trans faster, gears are what will make that rolling mass easier on everything.

92chevy

Reaction score
I know I plan on doing gears also but one thing at a time, it's just my toy I'm just wondering if it's worth putting the tbi heads back on it or should I go with like the vortec heads? Btw I put a nv4500 in it so tranny wear isn't a big issue thanks again

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
High lift roller cam with moderately short duration(under 268) will be your preferable cam selection. You might find it difficult finding a cam of those specs, you can contact Dema Elgin for a custom cam. Here's his site: www.elgincams.com

Ken definitely is correct with gears though, and I also would rather see you put gears in there first so you don't wear your trans out any quicker after throwing engine in and waiting to swap gears.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ken definitely is correct with gears though, and I also would rather see you put gears in there first so you don't wear your trans out any quicker after throwing engine in and waiting to swap gears.

Trans wear is not an issue, maybe the clutch but that depends more on the driver. Manual transmissions aren't very picky like autos.

92chevy

Reaction score
guys I really appreciate the help but your missing the point I have gears waiting to go in as soon as I get the motor done all I wanna know is I'm getting a crate short block what kind of heads should I go with? Should I find a nice set of 202 heads or vortec or should I just put the tbi ones back on it?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, big valve heads with a high lift/short duration cam and a dual plane intake....polish your intake's runners and tbi flange, and port & polish your head's intake/exhaust runners and valve pockets. Switching to roller lifters with a roller cam will also help free up power and it'll be alot less strain on the engine. If you decide to run a valve lift over .500", make sure your guides are clearanced and spring seats are lowered. Your tbi's body should also be replaced with one from a 454, and a tune will be required.

Also, to address the comment on trans wear being an issue: when not having the new gears installed yet, the torque from the engine will break apart his trans due to the strain of having to move the taller tires without sufficient gearing to lessen the strain on trans. He mentioned he was wanting more torque, torque is what tears up manual trannies.....whereas horsepower is what burns up automatics.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4.56 gears will wake that short block up Summit Racing can help you with a nice cam so you can keep your TBI which is best when one goes 4x4ing.