350 5.7 tbi stalling New everything from the ground up!! bash my head please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigchevy93

Reaction score
Have new 5.7 350 gm goodwrench crate motor with tbi setup, 1" helix tower spacer, edelbrock 3704 intake, mallory ignition system, msd alum. distib., msd cap, rotor, accel 8mm wires, flowtech ceramic headers, catback, brand new radiator, flex fan w/spacer
Brand new sensors everywhere!!!
Damn thing keeps stalling under load but wont in park at same rpm and duration. No check engine light and not throwing any codes to my otc.

Guy that helped me install this new crate is a certified diesel mechanic and gasoline, he advised me before I had to tow 5,000lb trailer 12 hours away that it would be ok to use just upper and lower coolant hoses because "thats how all cars/trucks used to be" and i shouldnt have a problem. Well, after overheating on the grapevine 5 times in california, i opted to install oil adapter and stock engine oil cooler lines for added protection and filtration

Damn truck is still stalling out!!!!

squeals between 1-1800 rpm, maybe belt isn't getting proper contact to turn water pump?

Maybe thermo. is sticking?

Maybe new cheapo (20.00) standard duty oreilly's water pump bearing going out and seizes when its hot?

im lost and desperate!

1993 k 1500 5.7 my tricky personal mods:)
-rock that chevy-

Johnbalderas90k1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like your low on oil. My 90 Chevy was doing the same thing squealing as it stalled. The low oil pressure cutout was activating. Either your low on oil or have excessive bearing clearances. Which the former sounds more plausible due to the fact your engine is new.

Johnbalderas90k1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds silly and I felt stupid when I pulled the drain plug and only a half a quart was left. Siezed my motor just because of that. Some mechanic I was lol. I thought of a complicated problem rather then easy.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would double check your ignition timing and distributor installation. Poor timing can cause overheating when under load and stalling/hesitation. Do you have access to a cooling system pressure tester? If not rent one from autozone and make sire your cooling system is fully sealed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

bigchevy93

Reaction score
yo john!

It sounds silly and I felt stupid when I pulled the drain plug and only a half a quart was left. Siezed my motor just because of that. Some mechanic I was lol. I thought of a complicated problem rather then easy.

thanks for the heads up! But if i had excessive clearances I think allot more mechanical issues would be apparent. But i will recheck oil, just changed it with 6 quarts, i will see if its burning oil over the next few days.

bigchevy93

Reaction score
in response to KEEPINITOLD SCHOOL.... chime in guys, everyone' 2 cents turn to bills!

I would double check your ignition timing and distributor installation. Poor timing can cause overheating when under load and stalling/hesitation. Do you have access to a cooling system pressure tester? If not rent one from autozone and make sire your cooling system is fully sealed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

ya sounds good, thats the one thing i dont own but have to have! timing light, although its computer controlled it can still miss. Good call on the cooling system tester, i went out and did a visual on the rad. cap today (stant 16lb w/ lock)

INSPECTION TODAY WAS, I REMOVED RAD. CAP AND THE SMALL CIRCULAR METAL PIECE THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BUT AGAINST THE RUBBER WAS DANGLING FREELY FROM THE RUBBER SEAL.

correct me if im wrong but if you remove your cap, everything should be snug and plum. Pressurized system allows that small pintle if i can call it that to open up and allow flow from purge tank/ reservoir.

Does this mean its my cap thats bad????????

keepinit old school is always cool btw. thank you for response:)

bigchevy93

Reaction score
ya i just dropped 6 quarts of (my now regularly ran 5-30 syn) oil in and new filter, i will run it and check for noise while driving, also i added a little zinc treatment courtesy of Lucas.

GMstrong

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would check the timing like stated,also check for vaccum leaks.If you didn't already I would re torque the intake manifold bolts

bigchevy93

Reaction score
honestly, funny you said that, i retorqued intake bolts for the hell of it yesterday...................
-replaced thermostat with a 180 instead of the 195.
-replaced rad. cap with new 16lb which i was running b4 anyhow.
-replaced water pump with new one

and yet still......................................last night after driving for an hour and up some steep hills for 20 min, 2k rpm up those hills, it chose to cut out and die on me AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!