350/383 or LS1???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkside 94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need help, I've been debating on which engine to go with. Out of the three engines a 350 Vortec, 383 or the 5.3 motor. I have a 305 that is approaching 260,000 and I'm sure it's gonna be going sooner than later. I know you can do alot with both engines but the question is which would be cheaper to do?

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
Aside from 350-- From what I've heard the 383 route would be cheapest. LSx would be slightly more but yield better results/reliability.

°Truckin°

Darkside 94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The problem is right now it's my DD and I was going to buy parts for the LS swap and continue to drive my truck until I have everything. It's looking like she might not want to wait on me. Besides if the 383 would last as long as my 305 I'd be happy.
Aside from 350-- From what I've heard the 383 route would be cheapest. LSx would be slightly more but yield better results/reliability.

°Truckin°

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
383 would be BAD ASS!
You going to get a short-block & go from there or what's your plans on getting there?

°Truckin°

Darkside 94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Working out plans now, I know they are a dime a dozen in the junkyards. Maybe get one and have cleaned up and get some new heads. Leaning more toward the 383. Atleast this way I won't have to change motor mounts or wiring harnesses. Looking for ideas...
383 would be BAD ASS!
You going to get a short-block & go from there or what's your plans on getting there?

°Truckin°

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Honestly, an a 5.3L with a mild cam and tune or a 6L LSx with just a tune would run circles around a 383 that you spent twice as much to build. I've seen low mile 5.3L engines with complete harness go from $400 up to $1100 around here. The associated stuff to make it work isn't all the much more expensive.

With a 383 you're looking at easily $3K to have it done right, with enough mods to even approach the stock output of an LQ4 for instance.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
I need help, I've been debating on which engine to go with. Out of the three engines a 350 Vortec, 383 or the 5.3 motor. I have a 305 that is approaching 260,000 and I'm sure it's gonna be going sooner than later. I know you can do alot with both engines but the question is which would be cheaper to do?
back in the day, we used to stroke a 305 and make a 338 stroker. it was pretty torqy and spun up real quick. i enjoyed the thing alot. lots of lowend torque

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Cheapest: Vortec 350
Best: Any LS motor...you can make more power for cheaper in the long run plus you'll get better gas mileage