305 Is a Turd Correct?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 305 can make enough power to have a lot of fun on the street. A 350, 383, 395 or better yet a 406 is more return for the $$$ spent in this modern economy. A 0.030" over 400 is literally 25% larger than a 305 and making the same hp and torque per cubic inch will make ~25% more for the cost of the block. A 3.875" stroke crank in a stock 400 bore is a 415 cid engine.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have a 93 extended cab with a 4l60e and a 305. I know the older 305’s were “smog” engines made for mpg not performance. From what I have researched these tbi 305’s are no different. Just want to make sure there are no 305 masters in here that know secrets before I throw a 350 in it lol

EDIT: Reply collision with #13. We're in violent agreement, so I'm leaving it in here. :0)

Having said all of the above in reply #10, I would take all the lessons learned in that video
and apply that to a 383. In heavy vehicles like the GMT400s, the most affordable path to
an improved day-to-day driving experience is via more displacement. Just make sure that
the VE (Volumetric Efficiency) is optimized for the rpm band where you spend 90% of your
time and you will be a happy camper.

In English, I've seen time after time that the guys fixated on a single HP number are rarely
satisfied with the resulting combo. On the other hand, those who can draw the torque curve
that their engine delivers are much much happier behind the wheel. (Drag racers & Bonneville
competitors excepted. :0)

Heck, I wouldn't hesitate to build a torquey 406 yet claim that it's just a 305. Those extra
101 cubic inches make a good thing that much better.

2Grim4U

Reaction score
Hello 2Grim4U,

Good question. I think that a good part of the rule of thumb of the superiority of the 350 vs the 305
is due to how the engine was originally placed in the General's powertrain pecking order. Despite sharing
the same 3.48" stroke, the smaller bore (and lack of 4-bolt mains) cause a lot of engine builders to look
for the bigger brother.

But there's been *lots* of thrilling power built atop 2-bolt main SBCs all the way back to the beginning.
And before you replace your 305, there's a PowerNation video that is a Mythbuster to the inability of the
305 to be built to deliver on the promise. (Jumping off point over here.)

(The 305 is ~14.7% smaller than the 350, and before watching the video I would have blamed the smaller
bore as making it act even smaller than that on the street...but with modern cylinder heads and associated
21st century technology they made the lowly 305 act a lot more like the fabled DZ302 than a larger yet
smog-headed 350.)

When it comes to overall performance of any system, it's all about identifying the real bottleneck in
the design and fixing that first, instead of spending money on either side of the bottleneck and
not realizing any appreciable performance gain for all your hard-earned moolah.

Anyway, when you have a little time to make yourself some popcorn, give that video a view and
then sleep on it. (BTW, I was pointed to this video by another member of the forum, and I know
my preconceptions were blown out of the water. Good stuff.)

Enjoy --
Appreciate the words of wisdom. I will check it out.

2Grim4U

Reaction score
EDIT: Reply collision with #13. We're in violent agreement, so I'm leaving it in here. :0)

Having said all of the above in reply #10, I would take all the lessons learned in that video
and apply that to a 383. In heavy vehicles like the GMT400s, the most affordable path to
an improved day-to-day driving experience is via more displacement. Just make sure that
the VE (Volumetric Efficiency) is optimized for the rpm band where you spend 90% of your
time and you will be a happy camper.

In English, I've seen time after time that the guys fixated on a single HP number are rarely
satisfied with the resulting combo. On the other hand, those who can draw the torque curve
that their engine delivers are much much happier behind the wheel. (Drag racers & Bonneville
competitors excepted. :0)

Heck, I wouldn't hesitate to build a torquey 406 yet claim that it's just a 305. Those extra
101 cubic inches make a good thing that much better.
That’s where I’m at with you and max express. I’m the type of guy who doesn’t like regret and I built a 307 once lol. I replaced it a couple years later with a stock vortec engine with a 600cfm street avenger carb and it was damn year night and day stronger than the 307 lol. I will more than likely build a mild 350 or 400 but hell anything can happen with my impatient ass lol

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s where I’m at with you and max express. I’m the type of guy who doesn’t like regret and I built a 307 once lol. I replaced it a couple years later with a stock vortec engine with a 600cfm street avenger carb and it was damn year night and day stronger than the 307 lol. I will more than likely build a mild 350 or 400 but hell anything can happen with my impatient ass lol
Big block will fit in there too.