3 wheel drive? 1 front wheel wont engage.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

livelifewideopen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1988 k1500, non heavy duty suspension truck. Im pretty sure when in 4x4 its only puttin power to 3 wheels. Pulls me left when under load then kicks back right when let off the gas. Cv is good, bearings are new, no noises or wierd vibrations (thought the truck is fairly loud so could be a small noise somewhere I just cant hear). Did I f*ck my front diff spiders or could it be an actuator issue. Ill be checking the front diff fluid tomorrow for shavings/chunk. Truck does see 4x4 alot between snow and offroading. Any i sight is appreciated!

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
What you're describing, is how an open differential works, unless I'm missing something here.

livelifewideopen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No the drivers side never gets any power. Ever. Put truck up in the air in 4x4 and 3 wheels go when u hit the gas

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
No the drivers side never gets any power. Ever. Put truck up in the air in 4x4 and 3 wheels go when u hit the gas

Then I would start looking at the driver's side hub and CV shaft. If you boogered up the spider's, I would imagine it would fail outright, or possibly bind and act like a spool.

livelifewideopen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then I would start looking at the driver's side hub and CV shaft. If you boogered up the spider's, I would imagine it would fail outright, or possibly bind and act like a spool.

Wouldnt a CV make noise and or vibrate though? And the hub is literally 200 miles old, checked the hub nut which is tight. Grabbed the cv shaft and played with it and didnt feel broken. Is it possible that i broke whatever axle shaft piece is in the diff? truck has been wheeled harder than it shouldve been a couple times

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
or you could have a locked up brake caliper, check your pads for uneven wear.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Wouldnt a CV make noise and or vibrate though? And the hub is literally 200 miles old, checked the hub nut which is tight. Grabbed the cv shaft and played with it and didnt feel broken. Is it possible that i broke whatever axle shaft piece is in the diff? truck has been wheeled harder than it shouldve been a couple times

My Driver CV is literally pulled apart and doesn't make noise lol.

With the truck jacked up, T-case in neutral, see if you can turn both tires simultaneous.

livelifewideopen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Driver CV is literally pulled apart and doesn't make noise lol.

With the truck jacked up, T-case in neutral, see if you can turn both tires simultaneous.
Oh damn ok. Ill definitely give it a harder look then. I always thought when a CV went itd be like a driveshaft u joint and vibrate like hell until it totally broke and make lots of noise.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Oh damn ok. Ill definitely give it a harder look then. I always thought when a CV went itd be like a driveshaft u joint and vibrate like hell until it totally broke and make lots of noise.

They usually click pretty good with the wheel turned, but mine currently is just popping once in a great while.