3" lift and 33" tires questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Answer 1: Rough Country's 3" kit is hardy worth the $600. Sure it will give you slightly better CV joint angles and upper(?) ball joint angles but it does nothing to help with the altered steering geometry and lower(?) ball joint angle that will result from this kit. Honestly it's a glorified torsion bar crank considering the price.

Answer 2: Yes. 3" higher from the factory is high enough, but you don't even need that. I am running 285/75/16's on my stock height 4DR 4WD Tahoe. The only cranking I did was 1/4" on the driver side to level it out with the passenger side. The tires rubbed ever so slightly at full lock while the suspension was compressing (so very rarely). I solved this by cutting off a small sliver of my bumper on each side. As shown below. You could also crank more if you don't want to trim the bumper.

You must be registered for see images attach

I never even noticed you finally got 285s

BigandTall

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive had a 3" body lift, 2" block and crank on my front end, still have original riveted in ball joints, no problems and I drive 85 miles a day every day but sunday.

Where did you get the 2" block and did it come with the longer U bolts? I can honestly say I like every single truck that has shown up on this thread but your trucks stance is how I'd like to have my Tahoe. Smile sir, your trucks photo just got saved to my computer.:rockit:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Do a 3 inch body and block and crank get tye block amd ubolts off ebay and the body lift off summit

BigandTall

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I'm probably going to do exactly that^^^^, I'll have more room than originally thought. Can I squeeze a 34" tire in there with a 3" BL and 2" block/crank? I only ask because after being told the tires/wheels would be delivered Friday, I checked my email confirmation to see that the 285s are back ordered til the end of the month. Since I'm going to have to find new tires and I'll be adding the BL/block/crank to be safe, I figure I'll get the most meat in there I can. (Hmm.... That sounded dirty.)

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Since I'm probably going to do exactly that^^^^, I'll have more room than originally thought. Can I squeeze a 34" tire in there with a 3" BL and 2" block/crank? I only ask because after being told the tires/wheels would be delivered Friday, I checked my email confirmation to see that the 285s are back ordered til the end of the month. Since I'm going to have to find new tires and I'll be adding the BL/block/crank to be safe, I figure I'll get the most meat in there I can. (Hmm.... That sounded dirty.)

yes, you could fit 35's… heck, i had 37" Boggers

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score

Yah u can fit 34" easily im doing the same but sticking with 33s until i wana regear

BigandTall

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't you know it.... I called Summit Racing to cancel the order and find other tires when I just so happened to get the best customer service rep I've dealt with in my 10 yrs + of dealing with them. The guy managed to shuffle the order around so that it comes from 2 different warehouses but they all ship mounted and balanced today, and he even threw in some free valve stems and a small discount just to say "I'm Sorry". Since I got a better price than originally quoted AND I'll most likely have them here Thursday instead of Friday, I kept my order. I'll run the truck with the 285s and if I decide to go bigger, 35's will be on my christmas wishlist.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Wouldn't you know it.... I called Summit Racing to cancel the order and find other tires when I just so happened to get the best customer service rep I've dealt with in my 10 yrs + of dealing with them. The guy managed to shuffle the order around so that it comes from 2 different warehouses but they all ship mounted and balanced today, and he even threw in some free valve stems and a small discount just to say "I'm Sorry". Since I got a better price than originally quoted AND I'll most likely have them here Thursday instead of Friday, I kept my order. I'll run the truck with the 285s and if I decide to go bigger, 35's will be on my christmas wishlist.

just get you some 2" blocks, crank to level, new front shock and an alignment, throw on your new wheels and tires and call it done… oh and most important, start a build thread and post pics!!!

TexasCowboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1393647538602.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393647538602.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members