3.42's in a 14 FF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know if 3.42 gears came in a full-float rear axle? I'm wanting to regear but i was told it's easier to just find a whole new rearend than to put in new gears. Or whats the strength difference in a semi-float and full-float? It's for a 95 6.5 2wd. the 4.10 gears in it now are killing me on fuel. :uhoh2:

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are your goals for the truck? 16-17mpg is doable w/ 4.10's. Have you done a 3" Downpipe, injectors, better lift pump and relay, tune, K47 or S&B intake, any hauges to know how truck is performing? Try lightening up on the skinny pedal?

To answer your question, there are 3.42's, 3.23's, and 3.08's. The last 2 are only found used and are hard to find at that.

SF vs FF depends on what you use the truck for. FF is hands down better but if you don't tow heavy the SF is lighter, might save mpg.

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i'm getting around 15-16 right now if i do about 55mph and get there slowly, Most of its stock other than basically a muffler delete and the PMD relocated. I don't know if its got a tune on it but i doubt it. No aftermarket intake and its got the stock square filter housing. No gauges yet. I'd love to get the 3" downpipe to 4" exhaust, S&B intake and a full set of gauges once i get the money. The plans for it honestly, i'm wanting to eventually lower it a few inches at most with airbags in the rear to tow still on some 20x10's or 20x8's. That's why i was interested in 3.42's so i can go to smaller tires without being basically useless on the highway. I hate having to drive at 55mph to break even 15-16 in a truck setup like mine(reg cab 2wd 2500 with a 5 spd), It'd be more acceptable if it was something like an extended cab 4x4 on bigger tires but not like this :bs:

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want to drop your RPMs and you don't tow with that thing then swap in a dana 71 out of an early dodge 3/4 or 1 ton (89-93). Most all of those came with 3.08 gears and they are plentiful and cheap. They can be found for $100-200 around here.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3.42's will probably suit you just fine then, doesn't sound like you bought it for a tow pig but mainly a weekend (monthly) hauler.

IMO, until you have done all basic maint and upgrades I wouldn't touch the gears. You can gain 1-2mpg on mods and be able to cruise 62mph (every 6.5L/gmt400 ive owned has liked that speed). There are a lot of people that run the ATT turbo and get an mpg increase, especially on 5 speeds and 4.10 equipped trucks. Getting rebuild injectors are usually good for gaining back a lost mpg or 2.

Go shop at Leroydiesel.com, STAY AWAY from SSdiesel

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the intake bad at ss too? Cause i was liking that price haha

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The filters are known for coming apart into the turbo. It's also not fresh air intake.

Source Unknown

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well dang. I'll have to find something else than.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Leroydiesel bud, he's a great 6.5l vendor. If he doesn't have it ask and he will work to get it.

Source Unknown