3.42 to 3.73 regear on a Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there any way I could regear only the rear axle with no adverse affects? If so, how much will it run in gears only? I will do the work myself.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
No, can't run 2 different gear ratios on the same truck, don't even try, it will bind your front and rear diff, and probably grenade your transfer case. Don't try regearing a daily driver rear end without any experience or help from anyone with experience. You have to know what backlash is, bearing pre-load, torque specs..

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks RHamill, how much do you think it'd run me to just buy new axles(scrapyard new that is)

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Thanks RHamill, how much do you think it'd run me to just buy new axles(scrapyard new that is)

Depends on location a lot of the times, you could probably get a 14 bolt semi floating rear end from a heavy half ton (f44 RPO in glovebox) for like 400-500 weith 3:73s and maybe G80 (RPO for posi rear end).

Front diff for a half ton with 3:73s is a dime a dozen, I actually have one Im trying to sell with 3:73s - probably a hundred bucks.

TheBigMortboski

World's Tallest Midget
Reaction score
You can get a G80 (limited slip rear) with the F44 (heavy half, 14SF rear axle). Mine is a F44 without the G80, so it can go either way.

If you had to choose one or the other, get the 14SF rear instead of a 10 bolt, even if the 10 bolt has the G80.

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the help once again guys, also would a 3.73 gearing gain me any speed?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
If by speed you mean acceleration then yes it will improve a little going from 3.42 to 3.73. But your top speed will be decreased by going to the higher (numerically) gears