2000 K2500 Updates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyRy96

Reaction score
Hi guys! I have a 2000 K2500 crew cab with around 155k on it. It has a vortec 350. I bought it 5k ago and found out soon after buying it that it eats coolant and oil, nothing major, it doesn't smoke but it will go through a quart around every 1000 miles. I think I'm going to work the heads and do head gaskets on it. The question I have is what mods should I do while I'm doing the head gasket. I really like the pickup, but the 350 is a little under powered for it and it gets around 11 mpg. It is a farm pickup and does a fair amount of hauling. I am looking for it to be a little more lively and economical. I am thinking about doing headers and exhaust. I'm not really into noise but want to help it breath better. What headers would you guys recommend? right now I'm looking at JBA 6830S but I really don't know much and am open to ideas. I also want to replace the cat, with 155k on it, its time. Should I look for a "high flow" converter or will anything really work? I am also looking at a Flowmaster 50 Series HD. Should I look at changing exhaust pipe diameter at this time, or is that more of an aesthetic upgrade? Again open to suggestions but more interested in flow than noise. After doing these I think I'll do a black bear tune. Anything I'm missing out on? any intake upgrades I could do? Any other updates that you guys would do while the heads are off? I'm open to input, thanks for the help guys! Picture is of my pickup and my cousins 89 vette.

You must be registered for see images attach

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as you're going to be in the motor, new valve spring and a cam might be worth doing. I'm sure black bear can get you a decent tune for that. Otherwise exhaust is a good idea too. I have JBA's on my truck, and I have no complaints other than having to use their mid pipes. There's nothing wrong with the mid pipes, it just adds to the price and work.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And if your looking to optimize your exhaust flow then there are alot better options than flowmasters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ChevyRy96

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! Nice to hear something good about the JBAs, I'll probably end up with them. How much added cost are mid pipes? I'm sure ill end up doing springs while i have the heads done. How much driveablity would I lose with a cam? I haven't looked at them. From what i've read it seems to get any noticeable gains from a cam your driveability suffers and I need this thing to start when its -20. Is that correct or exaggerated? What kind of cam upgrade should I look into? What would you guys recommend other than flowmasters? Thanks again for the expertise!

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! Nice to hear something good about the JBAs, I'll probably end up with them. How much added cost are mid pipes? I'm sure ill end up doing springs while i have the heads done. How much driveablity would I lose with a cam? I haven't looked at them. From what i've read it seems to get any noticeable gains from a cam your driveability suffers and I need this thing to start when its -20. Is that correct or exaggerated? What kind of cam upgrade should I look into? What would you guys recommend other than flowmasters? Thanks again for the expertise!

Tuned in on the cam question, google 395 Marine Cam, it's the cam I was going to stick in my 97 Suburban before I got my K2500, everything I learned from Slowburb, and I think Supercharged111 stepped in and answered a ton of questions as they have this cam in their trucks;

And for exhaust, Magnaflow is good, very good; I've got a Flowmaster on my 96 454 and I hate it,

ChevyRy96

Reaction score
Cool! I will look into it, thanks for the advice on Magnaflow. I will do some research into them as well. Any intake modifications that you guys would recommend? A good cold air intake?

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Cool! I will look into it, thanks for the advice on Magnaflow. I will do some research into them as well. Any intake modifications that you guys would recommend? A good cold air intake?

Volant is about the best true CAI; pricey, but the best. Truly the stock airbox really isn't as restrictive as most people think or are told,

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2, don't waste your money on a CAI. The factory intake is plenty.

Exhaust and a real tune from Black Bear will really wake one of these trucks up.