1click and no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When i try and start my truck I am only getting 1 click from the starter but then nothing else. I took the starter into Autozone and it test "ok." I have a new yellow top optima battery and made sure the cables are tight. Can someone point me towards something else to check?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is the battery charged ? Is the alt. working ? Have you tried jumping the truck ? charge the battery and see what happens, or swap the battery with one you know is good. Once you start the truck, take the pos bat cable off with the truck running, if the truck dies, the alt is bad, if it keeps running, the alt is good.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Were the wire connections at the starter clean and tight?

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ended up taking the starter off and doing the bench test. The gear popped out but didnt spin. So obviously the starter is bad. However, its weird that it worked perfectly fine at autozone of their tester.

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am getting the same thing but I am able to start my truck once and go somewhere. If I turn it off after driving ten minutes it will not turn on and give me the one death click. Does anyone have some input on what the problem is?

1. Replaced battery
2. Replaced starter

3. Replaced main power cable from fuse box to positive battery terminal.

4. After driving the main power cable is hotter than normal

5. Power might be touching ground somewhere or something. Not sure.

6. This happens to be very annoying I can't turn off my truck when I go to quick stops.

7. I have to wait at least 20 minutes for it to cool down and able to start again.

8. My door locks recently went out randomly, read a quick post about checking the door jam boots to see if they are cracked or bare/touching and damaged.

Please let me know what else to check. Greatly appreciated I want my truck back to normal :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Sounds like heat soak on the starter. Are you running headers?