1998 PCM Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope it works for you I know how it is to chase down stupid problems.
Thanks, and I appreciate the help. This truck needed a few things and I've already spent a good deal of time/money on it.

- rebuilt transmission
- new ignition harness
- replaced the loose distributor (worn gear)
- new battery
- new MPFI spider

Hopefully this is the last repair.

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good news - the 30 minute procedure worked and it fired right up.

Bad news - I still have the same rough idle and misfire. Oh well, more diagnosing to be done.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Good news - the 30 minute procedure worked and it fired right up.

Bad news - I still have the same rough idle and misfire. Oh well, more diagnosing to be done.

How did you set timing if you dont have a scan tool ? When you did you worm gear? Grab a new plugs, wires, rotor and cap there not much . I had a cracked plug one time that made my truck run like poo.
Also check vacuum leaks and egr . Both can cause this problem.

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you set timing if you dont have a scan tool ? When you did you worm gear? Grab a new plugs, wires, rotor and cap there not much . I had a cracked plug one time that made my truck run like poo.
Also check vacuum leaks and egr . Both can cause this problem.
I forgot to mention that I did a tune up when I replaced the distributor. At the time I had a mechanic/friend zero in the distributor. I might need to go and check that stuff again, but I'm not getting a CEL for any reference.

My next step is to check the fuel pressure again. I checked it before, but I don't know if I trust the gauge.

V_Kint

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe I've found my problem. I just hooked up a different pressure gauge and I'm getting 55psi with the key in the on position and 50 psi at idle.