1998 K3500 Starter Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SamH

Reaction score
Hello All,I am new here, and I am new to the C/K world of Chevy's. My family farm has always had older 1500's, but I took the plunge this year to buy a 1998 k3500 regular cab, single rear wheel, manual trans with 22,000 miles on it! It's a beauty and it's been stored for a while.Well, the problems started on January 31st when the truck stalled going down the interstate. That turned out to be the CPS.

While the mechanic was working on the truck, he also found that the starter was bad. So, a new starter was put in and worked fine for until February 12th when the truck wouldn't even engage the starter. Batteries were just replaced with 2 brand new ones and voltage was good on both. After getting it going by putting it in 1st and going down the hill, I drove to the shop and turned it off. It fired right up! Then, the mechanic replaced the starter. Worked fine immediately after, but after sitting for 2 hours, the starter would spin and spin and spin until it finally starts to turn the engine over and get it going. After taking it back, the starter was replaced again and the same thing happened. We have now been through 4 starters with the same issue on each. The mechanics are dumbfounded and I don't really know what to do.

Another couples pieces of information are: 1.) This only happens after the truck sits for more than 2 hours. If we start it and turn it off immediately and start it back up, it's perfectly fine.2.) After the starter failed the first time, every time it does finally start up after the starter spins and spins, the engine will surge to 1200-1300 rpm and then idle way down (to 200-300 rpm), almost to the point of shutting off (at times, it actually does).

Please help!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starter spins, engine does not crank? Starter drive failed, or there's teeth missing on the flywheel.

Four failed starter drives seem unlikely.