1998 K2500 Single Cab Short Bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Update: THE SHORT BED IS ON AND COMPLETE!!! It is bolted on and fits like it came on it. Body lines are perfect. The rear bumper has been mounted. The truck looks like it came this way from the factory. The first thing we did was drill all the rivets out of the spring hangers. It was very time consuming and we were very careful not to miss center and egg any of the holes in the spring hangers. Used a 1/4 inch bit as a pilot hole then drilled them with a 3/8. This left a very thin cylinder that was easily removed with a punch. We then took some careful measurements and got it all back square with the axle 14" forward of where it came factory. At this point, we realized that if the suspension was squatted much, the axle was going to hit the gas tank. We made some custom gas tank straps and moved the tank forward 3". This gave room for the axle to move properly and also aligned the filler neck with the door on the short bed. We also had to remove the factory muffler. Had the same clearance issue with it, and there is no way this truck is gonna be quiet when its finished anyway. We used C-clamps to attach the spring hangers to the frame and hold them in place when we got them where we wanted them. We drilled 1/4 inch pilot holes in the frame, then used a 31/64 drill bit to drill through the spring hangers and the frame. We used grade 8, 1/2" bolts to attach the spring hangers to the frame. They were a press fit in the holes, and driving them through the slightly smaller holes enhanced the hold of the self locking nuts. We also moved the rear cross member 14" forward, along with the shock mounts. We then cut 19" from the back of the frame rails. The drive shaft needed 13" cut out of it for it to be in the center of the slip yolk with the truck on level ground. From the design of the drive shaft, we had to cut 6.5 inches out of each end of it. The front bed mounts were correct, but we had to drill 4 7/8" holes in the frame for the rear bed mounts. The bumper mounts had to be trimmed, but the 2 bolts on each side lined up with existing holes in the frame. This is all the bolts we put in the bumper, it does not have a ball on it anyway and will only be used for looks and as a step. It has not been for much of a test drive because it is very low on gas, but the short ride it went on went well, no strange vibrations or anything. This is all we got done this weekend. The interior still needs major help and it still has the bad fenders/doors/grille on it. We did install the good hood on it. Surprisingly the shade of the red paint matches EXACTLY on both trucks. I cranked the torsion bars up on it, but it still sits a little high in the rear. I cannot find any upper control arms with more droop stop clerance, so i will be fabricating some soon so i can crank it up until it is level and correct the angles/alignment. Our next step will be to swap over the fenders, front bumper, grille, and doors. Then all i will lack is an interior and a set of wheels/tires for it. I took some pics as it went together, but i cannot get them to upload. If anyone wants to see some pics of how it went together, PM me with your email and i'll send them to you. Sorry about the book i have written on this post, but we got alot done this weekend.

You must be registered for see images

Long bed, factory length.
You must be registered for see images attach

After we got the spring hangers removed and the fronts re-mounted. Thats my little brother with the grinder.

This was the final location of the front spring hangers. You can see where they used to mount. You can also see the gas tank strap location in the far right. The light spot on the tank directly under the rear spring hanger mark on the frame is where it used to hang.

After we put the bed back on.

Last edited:

98_k1500

Reaction score
Update: I got the driver's fender and door changed. When i put the door on, the body lines were off more than a inch. Played heck with that trying to make the door close properly. Ended up dropping the whole door on my pinkie finger. Finally got the door to shut properly and put the fender on. Nothing lined up there either. After lots of shimming, finally got the body lines right and bolted her on. The composite headlights are finished and working for the silverado grille. My bumper mounts are bent and my bumper won't fit it. Next step will be getting them straightened out and changing the passenger door/fender. When we get that done and the grille in it, all it will lack is an interior and a set of 35"-37" gripper tires lol. Im not sure why but my pics are still not working, i'm going to try a different camera next time and see if i can get some uploaded.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Nice project. I had a similar issue with that screw-thing, you need an e-torx socket in 1/4 drive. I forget what size.
I happened to find a regular torx screw that fit over it upside down, and bent it to make a special tool to get it out.

Why aren't you keeping it long bed? Much more useful. I've done some frame hacking together before...definitely wouldn't recommend it in my opinion. It can be done well, but never as good as the factory frame.

My 2 cents. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

I only cut the frame behind the rear bumper mounts. Strength should be practically the same as it was factory minus a few bolt holes.

98_k1500

Reaction score
I still can't figure out what's wrong with my pics. Anyway, got the passenger fender/door on it over the weekend. Also changed the hood latch cable. It was in pieces. All my body lines look good and my doors close like new. Next step is going to be pulling both dashes and installing a power window harness. Also still on the lookout for another set of factory uca's and a set of 8 lug wheels because the ones that are on it are UGLY. I'll be getting a tag/insurance on it sometime this week but until i find some tires at least, its not going any farther than i am willing to walk home.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Over the weekend i got the interior all together and the power windows and door locks working. It was not fun, and if anyone wants the specifics i'd be glad to share them. All i lack is mounting the shift boots to the floor and the interior and it will be finished. Mounting 40/60 split seats in a factory bench seat truck is not fun because of the heat shield protecting the cats on the passenger side. My oil pressure gauge is still not working. I found some stock 2008 wheels that will be going on her tomorrow. Pics first chance i get.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Lovin this build man keep it up im thinkin about doin somthin similar with an sclb 2500 and slappin my stepside in it and makin it my mud truck

98_k1500

Reaction score
I'm trying to get some pics up, but im a little more mechanically savvy than i am with the computer stuff. Nothing is cooperating. If i can get my new wheels on sometime this week, i'll try to get someone out there with a decent digital camera to show everything involved in doing this.

Thats the best pic i got at the moment that will upload.

Last edited:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I'm trying to get some pics up, but im a little more mechanically savvy than i am with the computer stuff. Nothing is cooperating. If i can get my new wheels on sometime this week, i'll try to get someone out there with a decent digital camera to show everything involved in doing this.
You must be registered for see images

Thats the best pic i got at the moment that will upload.

Awesome man! i could help u with the computer stuff if you shorten my frame lol

98_k1500

Reaction score
This thread may make it look easy, but that frame shortening was a JOB. There are 40 rivets that have to be drilled out. Custom gas tank straps have to be fabbed up so the tank will sit far enough forward, even when using a swb gas tank. Then you have to drill 46 new holes in the frame, 4 of them are 7/8 inch. Just so everyone knows, a truck frame is HARD to drill. A drill dr. is your best friend to keep the bits sharp and they have to have a constant stream of water on the bit to keep it cool. I still don't have a receiver hitch under it, so that will involve drilling some more holes i'm sure. The driveshaft has to be cut on both ends. Brake lines have to be moved. Emergency brake cable has to be shortened. The left shock mount fits right back on it, the right one is a **** to get situated, there is a cross member in the way. It has been far from easy lol.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Bought me some new 17" wheels off a 2008 2500hd. I also found out that my passenger side door jamb switch is bad and it runs down the battery if you don't push the dome override button. I never noticed it before but last night about every 10 minutes, the interior light would come on for a little while and go back off. Hope to have my mud tires on the 17s sometime this weekend. She is about ready to put on the road.

This is what my new wheels look like. They will be wrapped in 35 inch rubber by tonight.

Last edited: