1998 chevy power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have 1998 chevy c1500 5.7 vortec im replacing the power steering pump and the old one has a sensor or sumthing and the new does not and the old one broke too.. do i need that sensor?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
That's the EVO sensor. Eliminate it.
GM has recognized that it's problematic & offer a delete kit.
Or...go to the wreckers & pick up the non-EVO high pressure line, (Pre-'96) along with the fitting that goes between the pump & the line. Cheap! I got mine for under $10.00.
First pic is of the EVO & it's line.
#2 shows how to get that EVO crap off. Remove the 'C' clip, pull that first section off so you get access to the nut underneath. You'll see it once that first piece is off. Once it's all removed, be careful not to lose or drop the puck & spring in behind. It WILL fall out. Just make sure to note which way all that is facing before it does.
#3. That fitting required.
#4. The reason why.
#5. Installed. Note that the non-EVO line has an extra 180* bend in order to come around to the back of the pump.
A tip. Install, but do not tighten up the lines to the pump until after the the pump is reinstalled & steering box ends are attached. It'll make the install sooo much easier.
Mines been done for several years, now. No issues.

You must be registered for see images attach