1998 Brake light switch R&R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having never been under the dash, to look for the switch I watched a video on a earlier model replacement. Yeah looked tight but do-able . So the switch came today and I went under the dash on my 98 and seen that it was a far cry from the one I watched done on a 1994 I believe it was ! I see the clip somewhat on the switch but that is all, not really enough to get anything to it . Tried working my hand up and over column and that did not seem to get my hand on anything.
Question is, anyone ever changed one on the 98 and is there any short cuts or is it a drop the column sort of deal ?
My question is not about how to get it off after I get to it, but how to get to it to get it off =)
Any help is appreciated very much.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's...not fun. The newer column design is pretty cramped for access to the switch. It's totally do-able without dropping the column, and honestly I don't know if dropping the column really improves access enough to be worth it.

Richard

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's...not fun. The newer column design is pretty cramped for access to the switch. It's totally do-able without dropping the column, and honestly I don't know if dropping the column really improves access enough to be worth it.

Richard
Thanks Richard, we got some really nice days coming to Florida with lower temps and no humidity . So I will get with it and see what I can do, I got the switch and a couple of new clips for it... I know about the monster that eats those little parts that are never found again, so I plan ahead. And I eyeballed it and am kinda under the same idea as you.. If it gains that much to be worth the effort of dropping the column !? Thanks for your input I appreciate it.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m trying to make the same repair myself. Any luck Oldblue98?
Was under dash a minute today and I can barely see the clip that holds it on between the steering shaft and column brace, I have tried getting my hands over the shaft and around and I be damned if I can get my hands on it much less the wire harness to unplug, if it can be done without dropping column I don't see how. Mind you I have big hands to try to squeeze in there.
I have a new switch and bought two new damit clips in case I lose or break one, but I have not got that far yet.
My biggest problem is getting under there, I have rods and pins in my back and it makes me not so good at under dash work anymore.
The older models 95-94 back I think were a tad bit easier to get to, and then came some changes in dash design.

cnowalk

Geologist
Reaction score
Yeah I was up under my dash this afternoon as well. I’m 26 and without back issues so getting under there isn’t the problem, it’s trying to get the clips off. My long pliers were no help either, so I’m not sure what’s next. I saw snap ring pliers suggested on another post but who knows. Everything I’ve read says that it’s difficult to get those clips off but I’ve not been able to find how anyone did it. I’ll probably check YouTube.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The circular clip used on the newer switch design is tricky until you see how it works. Spin it around (yeah yeah I know, you gotta reach it first) so that you can see the little hole in it. That hole is actually two half-circles where the clip is split, so that you can use snap ring pliers (with the tiny tips installed) to gently spread the clip and slide it off the stud.

Richard

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I was up under my dash this afternoon as well. I’m 26 and without back issues so getting under there isn’t the problem, it’s trying to get the clips off. My long pliers were no help either, so I’m not sure what’s next. I saw snap ring pliers suggested on another post but who knows. Everything I’ve read says that it’s difficult to get those clips off but I’ve not been able to find how anyone did it. I’ll probably check YouTube.
Well there is a post on you tube for older models and it is straight forward .. But the newer model for 1998 the only video I found was a guy ripping the whole dash and column down and looked as though he was doing guess work, not a good video !
If you find something better give me a shout out.
And inner snap ring pliers do fit in the clip and will spread it open, because I tried it on the new clips I have and it works... If you can get your snap ring pliers to it..

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The circular clip used on the newer switch design is tricky until you see how it works. Spin it around (yeah yeah I know, you gotta reach it first) so that you can see the little hole in it. That hole is actually two half-circles where the clip is split, so that you can use snap ring pliers (with the tiny tips installed) to gently spread the clip and slide it off the stud.

Richard
Yes it does, I tried it on my new clips and it works great, of course that was standing straight up with the clip in my hand lol

cnowalk

Geologist
Reaction score
Getting the tool to the clips is definitely going to be a challenge! I’m hoping I can figure something out without tearing too much apart. I’ll definitely post on this thread with what I come up with after I mess around with it some more tomorrow.