1998 6.5 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Have you verified it's not the harness? Also, my dad's 6.5 would never downshift to 2nd on the highway. What RPMs are you seeing? Are you absolutely certain it's not going from 4th unlocked to locked?

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you verified it's not the harness? Also, my dad's 6.5 would never downshift to 2nd on the highway. What RPMs are you seeing? Are you absolutely certain it's not going from 4th unlocked to locked?

due to me not having a good enough scanner i havent verified in gears at all. what made me change the solenoid was the fact i started out in 1st and hit 2nd and wouldnt shift past that. RPM's on the highway at 60mph, will go from unloccked, then 34th, then 3rd, then lock then unlock... just really weird

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Should go from 4th locked and jump to either 3rd or 4th unlocked. Truck shouldn't up or downshift while locked, is it? I agree it sounds weird, sounds like an intermittent failure. Did you try ohming anything and wiggling the harness? My neighbor recently did a 4L80 and the harness near the trans was smoked. Maybe peel back the convoluted tubing?

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should go from 4th locked and jump to either 3rd or 4th unlocked. Truck shouldn't up or downshift while locked, is it? I agree it sounds weird, sounds like an intermittent failure. Did you try ohming anything and wiggling the harness? My neighbor recently did a 4L80 and the harness near the trans was smoked. Maybe peel back the convoluted tubing?

yep its unlocking while maintaning a constant speed. havent tried ohming out the pins yet, did try wiggling the hardness. might have to get back under there and play with electrical tonight yet

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
For $2200, you got a steal! Really like the grille guard on it.

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Back to trans shop today, they just said build it. The amount of s*** that was in the bottom of the pan they said if it’s not the clutches that are burnt up now they are going to be right away,

so looks like I’m on the hunt for a good used trans

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Of course they said just build it.

yep of course. But at this rate I’m gunna throw a few hundred on just diagnosing it, when I can get a 4l80e and converter with 200,000 less KM for 400 bucks. So I’m just going down that road at this point. And by the look of the shavings and crud on the pan, and it’s constantly overheating cause I can’t lock up in OD It’ll just be better to swap it. Pretty sure it’s the converter that **** the bed on mine now that I’m more and more thinking about it. Would make sense that it’s gear searching after it unlocks after 60mph..