1997 GMC Sierra Shortbed 2WD Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Nice truck!
Those are SS wheels. $300.00-$400.00/set around here, depending on condition. They're somewhat prone to bending at the hub. (potholes) They're getting harder & harder to find.
I like 'em! Been known to collect them! (Hoarding? Well....kinda-maybe-sort-of)
My '97 is a 2/4. Never again! PitA install!!! Pinion angle set-up was an ongoing story for a while.
Yea...it gets compliments. Looks O.K., I guess. Just NOT low enough! And that's the same story that you'll probably hear from others with a 2/4!
With the 20's on it, I think that it looks kinda 'Donk'! (ewww!!!)
The 4/7 that my '98 has is much much better.

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice truck!
Those are SS wheels. $300.00-$400.00/set around here, depending on condition. They're somewhat prone to bending at the hub. (potholes) They're getting harder & harder to find.
I like 'em! Been known to collect them! (Hoarding? Well....kinda-maybe-sort-of)
My '97 is a 2/4. Never again! PitA install!!! Pinion angle set-up was an ongoing story for a while.
Yea...it gets compliments. Looks O.K., I guess. Just NOT low enough! And that's the same story that you'll probably hear from others with a 2/4!
With the 20's on it, I think that it looks kinda 'Donk'! (ewww!!!)
The 4/7 that my '98 has is much much better.

Thanks for the heads up! Do you have a build thread or anything? Feel free to post pics here too if you like. I would think I could shim to correct the angle? IDK. I still want to be able to haul some heavy loads... I don't want too much of a drop, but I don't want a headache.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind (and this is something that a lot of people dont think through), is that doing a flip kit has no bearing on your ability to haul loads. All you are doing is taking the axle from under the springs, and relocating to the top of the spring. Your suspension changes not at all. Its the same with a 4" drop except that youre changing the attachment points of the spring itself. Not only is that a royal pain in the ass to install, invariably, youre going to want more, and then its even more a pain in the ass to remove and then do a flip kit.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! Do you have a build thread or anything? Feel free to post pics here too if you like. I would think I could shim to correct the angle? IDK. I still want to be able to haul some heavy loads... I don't want too much of a drop, but I don't want a headache.

Aahhh, sorry, man. No build thread. Had my '98's suspension done before I even knew what a forum was!
Most of the few pix I did take disappeared when my old computer crashed.
I do have a few of the rear suspension set-up. Posted those a bunch of times in various threads.
I drove that truck pretty hard. I'm the guy last on the brakes, first on the gas.
With the truck @ 4/7, I quickly learned which roads not to drive on! The ones with the truck swallowing pot holes!
Some speed bumps are a pain.
But I also used it as a truck. 2 complete 50's Chevy interiors in the box was probably somewhere in the 800-1000 lbs range and the truck handled that surprisingly well.
It doesn't have a hitch, but with proper weight distribution on a trailer, I can't see a big issue. Although I certainly wouldn't attempt hauling a vehicle on a car trailer behind it.
I've towed my '98 on a really heavy trailer behind my '97! (2/4) Had to get the '98 loaded in just the right position in order to have the '97 riding level. Towing was fine once I got it going. A little hard on the clutch starting out on some hills. It's just a 4.3!
The biggest prob with towing a load such as that was getting it all stopped! (Whoa! I said whoa, *****! WHOA! Please?)

You must be registered for see images attach

Daly

The great white Canadian
Reaction score
Looks good, sounds like you have good plans for it… I don't think the rims are rare per-se, but they weren't available on every truck… They were available on the sport trucks including the 454SS…

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Getting some brake work done today and she's all shined up. Needs a drop kit installed bad! I picked up a used Beltech 2/4 for $100 the other day.

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also picked up some vintage American Racing Gamblers. 15x10... might be too wide up front though.

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Updated pics with the wheels on.. what should I do next?/