1996 tahoe/changed steering column 3 times, still no power to windows, wipers, radio, cruise. Need help please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnnyg651

Reaction score
Somebody tried to steal my truck when I was out of town. My wife had a "mechanic" friend of hers try to fix it. Instead of changing the ignition cylinder, they decided to rip out the entire steering column. Now half of my electrical doesn't work. Power locks work fine along with all the lights, inside and out. But my power windows and wipers dont work. In the fuse box in the cab, to the leftmost the steering wheel, there are ,multiple fuses but then 2 circuit breaks. A and B. Which one is for the wipers and the other is for the windows. I'm stuck, frustrated, and growing more angry. Please help.

Johnnyg651

Reaction score
Thanks HOTWHEELS. Nobody has any ideas? Dang, looking pretty dismal. I really like my truck. First large truck I've ever had and first 4 wheel drive. Its been frickin' awesome. So please, if anybody has any ideas, that would be wonderful.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Find a manual, ether downloadable, or go buy a Haynes manual. Go through the schematics and check everything with a test light or multimeters or both. There is no magic bullet. You have to trace down the issue and repair it. You are not getting power, so why isn't there power where it's supposed to be? The only way to find that, is to test things. If you can't read a schematic, then there are videos on youtube to help you learn how to.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, the cab/ dash fuse area is most of convenience items, mirrors, cig 'lighter, lights, etc. They are marked and the decal on the door panel. Also everything is diagramed in owners manual. You can download the service manuals on this forum. Start with the basics. Fuses, follow colored wires. Swapped out the steering colum? Testing the multifunction switch on the column will be a separate task. Since some neanderthals may have done god knows what, just snug up yer belt, a cool drink. Start chasing electrons from fuse box out to the switches, and back to grounds. ( switch has power but nothing happens? Window motor bad? No ground wire broke off, check grounds too) yeah it's tedious and sometimes soulcrushing, but it's not a spun crank bearing. Get the down load manuals, it's easier than you think. Good luck.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yup! Electrical problems are a PITA to track down, but it's worth it when you get to the root of it,and get them fixed. A manual and wiring diagrams will help tremendously, to let you know what's supposed to be there and where it goes. Not gonna lie, it's gonna take patience. But the satisfaction of getting it figured out is great! Everything I've done on my trucks has been a learning experience, but at the end of the day, it's all skills in the toolbox. Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask more questions.
There's also a lot of service videos on YouTube for these trucks; they can be very informative.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a link to the GM service manual thread, unfortunately there's nothing for '96 but the '98 manuals should be fairly close. They will mention Passlock and other things that your '96 does not have, though. You may want to look on eBay for a set of '96 specific manuals.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/