Lowering a power window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollybear1

Reaction score
Hello! My 98 GMC K1500, 5.7L, drivers power window motor has given out. Ive checked powers and ground at the switch and its there when i press the switch. Motor gives a slight click when i press the switch. Passenger side works fine. I'll try to check it at the motor today. My question is, the window stopped all the way up. If I get a new motor and mechanism, how do I get the window down? From what I've seen the window needs to be down to get the guides out of the track properly. I've tried tapping the area where the motor is mounted to see if it'll move with no luck. Ive also tapped the gearing to see if it'll move, again with no luck. Can I take the motor and mech out with the window up? Thanks in advance for the help.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your motor is fried, the best choice is a motor and regulator assembly. I find that glass being up is easier as you drill and remove rivets or whatever retains the assembly, as you wiggle the motor and regulator out and off the roller tracks you will move the loose glass up and down. Remember as your removing the motor and reg' assembly , don't let the window get loose and slam down out of the window guide tracks.
The regulator supports the glass. So be aware.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can loosen the clamps that hold the glass. It will give you left to right tilt to move the regulator out of the way. Tape the glass up over the top, and put small wedges in the frame to hold the glass.