1996 4x4 Suburban Build Journal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mroeschlein

Reaction score
Pics on the way as I think these threads are worthless without some eye candy. Please bear with me :)

The Project: 1996 K1500 Suburban

We bought this truck 3 years ago to use for our growing family and enable us to go camping, fishing, long trips to grandma's house, etc without all cramming into a mini-van or the Grand Cherokee. I love the 'burb's spaciousness and ability to do just about anything we need it to do. Here's the lowdown on the rig as it was when we bought it.

Red / Gray two-tone exterior with the normal midwestern steel cancer on the rocker panels
Gray Leather interior
193,000 miles on the clock
5.7L V8
4L60E Transmission
NP 243C electronic transfer case
3.73 rear end
Stock Everything...and I mean EVERYTHING.

Initial Upgrades (already done):

Replaced stock rear leaf springs with 3/4 ton springs to add some cargo capacity. Also ended up raising the back by about 1" give or take.

New Distributor Cap/Rotor
New Spark Plugs
New Spark Plug Wires

Replaced one 02 sensor that was throwing a code

Replaced rotors and pads in front wheels

Replaced drums and shoes in rear wheels

Replaced about 4' of rear brake line that was rusted and starting to leak

Re-wired the trailer harness to be a REAL 7-way RV plug (Truck already had towing package, previous owner(s) just didn't hook it up)

New tires (Cooper Discovery M/T 265/75 R16)

Replaced stock stereo with my Alpine/Infinity gear from another rig.
New door speakers/tweeters in front and rear.
New roof speakers in cargo area.
10" sub.
Amps to drive it all mounted under rear seats.

New Headlights and turn signals.

That was pretty much all done in the first 3 weeks of ownership. Next posts will discuss mods since then, and my current project :evillol: