1994 TBI 5.7 - Crank, no start, stumped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Macinist

Reaction score
I have a 1994 K1500 Suburban 5.7L. It has a Whipple supercharger that was installed by Canepa when it was new. They call for 92 octane, so I always run 91, the highest we have here in CA. Lots of other upgrades, but I don't think any of them are pertinent to this situation.

Some background info: I have had it since June. It has always run rich and blows smoke like a diesel under hard throttle. I recently replaced the PCV valve and installed a check valve to prevent positive intake pressure from the SC to flow into the crankcase. That seemed to minimize the smoke under hard acceleration. I am hoping that it will cut down on oil consumption. It currently uses a quart every 150 miles or so. Gas mileage seems to be on par with factory claims 8.5-12.5 overall mpg, depending on how and where I drive it. I found oil on spark plugs 1 & 2 when I did a tune-up in September.

It starts hard when cold. It cranks 10+ times before it fires up. Then it idles rough and will stumble or even stall if I am too heavy on the throttle before it warms up.

It was running particularly rough last night right after I washed it. I got on it pretty hard and it stalled out (OK, I tried to do a brakestand with the wet tires). Now it will not fire up for anything. There was gas in the throttle body when I pulled the intake plenum. I replaced the ignition control module, as that seems to be a pretty common problem (ICM went out on my 1991 K1500 a few years back). This morning it almost fired up after sitting all night. Today I put new spark plug wires in because the old ones looked bad and I seemed to be getting high impedance on the coil wire. Tried to start it with starting fluid and almost got it to start once, but not even a glimmer of hope after that. The coil seemed to be OK, but I swapped a used one from my old truck and nothing changed. Spark from the #1 spark plug looks very weak, orangish.

Frustrated and stumped. Blew most of my weekend on this thing.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I would look into a reman distributor. It will come with a new pickup. The distributor itself can go bad, might as well replace it too if the pickup is bad.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Seems simp!e, but have you checked the inside of the dist cap for moisture?

If you "washed the engine" , its a possibility. Makes your spark travel in all kinds of funny places.

Wouldnt be the first rig to come into the shop on the hook for that problem....:rofl:

The Macinist

Reaction score
Seems simp!e, but have you checked the inside of the dist cap for moisture?

If you "washed the engine" , its a possibility. Makes your spark travel in all kinds of funny places.

Wouldnt be the first rig to come into the shop on the hook for that problem....:rofl:

The cap is dry. No water even got into the engine compartment. I still checked it to make sure.

The Macinist

Reaction score
I charged the battery up this morning and tried to start it up with starter fluid. It fired up with some hesitation and runs pretty rough, although it has always run rough. It even restarted after running for a few minutes.

Still confused. I'm wondering if it will fire up tomorrow morning.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
It has always run rich and blows smoke like a diesel under hard throttle.

It currently uses a quart every 150 miles or so.

I found oil on spark plugs 1 & 2 when I did a tune-up in September.

It starts hard when cold. It cranks 10+ times before it fires up. Then it idles rough and will stumble or even stall if I am too heavy on the throttle before it warms up.

It was running particularly rough last night right after I washed it. I got on it pretty hard and it stalled out (OK, I tried to do a brakestand with the wet tires). Now it will not fire up for anything. There was gas in the throttle body when I pulled the intake plenum. I replaced the ignition control module, as that seems to be a pretty common problem (ICM went out on my 1991 K1500 a few years back). This morning it almost fired up after sitting all night. Today I put new spark plug wires in because the old ones looked bad and I seemed to be getting high impedance on the coil wire. Tried to start it with starting fluid and almost got it to start once, but not even a glimmer of hope after that. The coil seemed to be OK, but I swapped a used one from my old truck and nothing changed. Spark from the #1 spark plug looks very weak, orangish.

Frustrated and stumped. Blew most of my weekend on this thing.

I have a few questions for you, and they may or may not solve your problem. First, how long ago did you replace your plugs. If you don't mind me asking, which brand and part number did you use?

If I were you, I would use only AC Delco plugs. It's also recommended to run plugs that are 1 heat range colder than stock to avoid detonation. I'm currently running AC Delco R42TS (stock would be R43TS, the second number indicates heat range).

Second, do you know if the truck had a custom tune installed with the supercharger? You said it was installed when new, so how long has this thing been on?

Third, sounds to me like you have some other serious issues going on. Oil on your plugs, burning through oil pretty fast, smoking under throttle. I'd say it's time for a rebuild. At the very least, I would do a compression test to see if your valves/piston rings are still good.

And just curious, how much boost are you currently putting through the motor? How many miles are on it?

OH, and I almost forgot, is your coil currently mounted to the intake manifold kind of underneath the throttle body? That's where my kit had mine relocated, and I found that it was overheating the coil and giving me a starting issue. I know you said you swapped coils, but just something that I had an issue with that may or may not help.