1994 K2500 6.5 turbo diesel build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sketch

Diesel Owner
Reaction score
Well, started a new job making twice what I made when I bought this truck, so here goes nothing and here come the mods. For those of you who don't know, what I have is a 1994 K2500 Silverado EcLb 4x4 with the 6.5 Turbo Diesel. 4.56 gears, 14 bolt rear, some junk aftermarkets installedby p/o: exhaust using the stock pipe. trashy sony xplod radio that only works when it wants to, 75hp injectors everyone tells me is a ripoff. I am wanting to lift eventually and even repaint the whole truck either black or candy red. Sound system is also on the list. most likely a ful kenwood system. anyways here goes nothing

Already ordered, tonight in fact:
4" Diamond Eye performance exhaust system turbo back
2.5" cross over pipe
New OEM replacement grille
Crystal clear headlights and corner markers

wheels I haven't decided yet. although I love these Level 8's:
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p206x206/996983_232084146958134_52364184_n.jpg

You must be registered for see images

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The "75 HP" injectors are a ripoff in the sense that they don't do as claimed.

What they are is marine injectors.

They are made to flow a bit more fuel than the stock injectors. The problem is, they are made to operate at constant rpm and with a specific marine injection pump.

Toss em on a street engine and you get more smoke and more egt (worse when towing), but very little else in the way of HP.

We tried a set on my truck on the dyno. Even after I reworked the calibration in the PCM several times the most we saw was a 10hp peak at 3200 rpm.

Egts were well over 1200f before 3000rpm and it was smoking like a freight train under 2600rpm until I pulled so much fuel they actually made less HP than stock nozzles. Even the WMI spraying didn't settle them out. Torque curve was more like a rollercoaster than the usual steep climb off idle and tabletop until it drops off. Just horrible.

IMHO: Not worth it.

My fresh Bosch injectors were better everywhere besides that one useless 10hp jump that you had to pay for everywhere else in the rpm range.

Tdco over -.75 is pretty much useless too. A couple HP for much more noise, much more prechamber rattle and cylinder pressures high right where you don't want them.

The optic bump I don't advise either, especially if you have no way to read the mm^3 fuel at idle for proper setting.

Yours is a 94 so its obdi, probably a good idea to look into GMTDScan by ENGH motors. It will give you access to the obd data stream and comes in handy for soooo many things when working on a 6.5 obdi truck. In fact, you need it (or a techii) to set tdco on an obdi truck. Its worth it for that alone....

:)

Last edited:

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I'm surprised that Bj didnt suggest a PMD relocation in his statement lol. But yea you def need to relocate it since in its OE location it is in the hottest part of the engine bay. Best placement is to install it to the back of the front bumper between the snorkels using one of the many kits out there. Avoid the intake mounted kits because they keep the PMD in the same hot zone.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I'm surprised that Bj didnt suggest a PMD relocation in his statement lol. But yea you def need to relocate it since in its OE location it is in the hottest part of the engine bay. Best placement is to install it to the back of the front bumper between the snorkels using one of the many kits out there. Avoid the intake mounted kits because they keep the PMD in the same hot zone.

Mostly because he didn't say if it is already moved or not.

I use a heath diesel kit, been on there going on 5 years and no troubles. 7 year warranty. Turned the pmd from the thing I have the most trouble with to the thing that gives me the least trouble. Best 500 bucks I ever spent.

When it comes to remote mounting it just as much about how the pmd is mounted to the heat sink, orientation, size of the sink and which pmd is actually being used as it is the location.

For my money, you can't get a big enough heat sink in the bumper space. Mine hangs below, not on the skid plate, but below the bumper. Its also covered by the lower plastic valance. Temp delta is what works for me.

Since his is a 94, I could also go on with the oil pressure sender relay modification, loft pump change, converter lockup switches, cooling clutch modification, water pumps, fans, etc, etc.

But you can only cram so much into one post.

:rofl:

Last edited:

Sketch

Diesel Owner
Reaction score
Just going to run the PMD where it is until it dies then I will relocate the new one. Its the factory PMD with 240k miles so I will order a new one ad keep i on hand just incase. I don't expect it to last much longer. I have been talking to a guy you all may know as Buddy, who builds the 6 position chips for these trucks. I am planning on stock, lope/smoke just for fun, Economy, Tow, and Hot (race). I am debating on whether I wan just a turbo master or a better turbo overall, right now my vacuum controller has a pinhole in it some where so my waste gate only works when it wants to. I am babying the truck until I decide what I want to do.

I do appreciate all the info guys. I am looking forward to getting parts in and starting this build. this will be my first diesel build, and I am sure it won't be my last.