1994 K1500 7 pole wiring issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jurt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey so i have a 94 k1500 i am trying to wire up my 7 pole trailer harness, i dont have the factory tow wiring harness but i have a 4 pole already, so i ran two wires from the plug to the engine bay (one for 12v one for brake signal).
i watched this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38kBJSqYjwg&list=FLSMSLRNml8sDCPxcgypp1tw but i have a few questions, my fuse box is not in the engine bay like the truck in the video whichis an 89 k3500, it is under the dash, but i cant find a post to run my 12v source back to the plug, does anyone know where i can find it? I have tried searching but have had no luck. Does anyone know where i can hook up for a 12v source?

thanks!

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either straight to your battery or one of the studs on the passenger side fire wall

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also if you are not hauling a trailer that needs 12v feed then dont bother installing it. Most of the time its used for charging a winch battery or camper batteries.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depending on how work goes, I might be able to check how the PO wired the 7 poles on my Suburban. Yes, that is not a typo. I have two 7 pole tow plugs. Different sizes.

Jurt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be hauling a trailer with batteries and a fridge so i was planning on running the fridge with the 12v as i drive, you have 2 7 poles..? Haha that is weird..

Steve83

Reaction score
Be sure to USE A FUSE or circuit breaker at the battery to protect the truck wiring from the trailer batteries. Trailer batteries are frequently dead, and a dead battery can draw a lot of amps at first. You can probably find an unused fuse position in the factory block, add a terminal (or 2) to it, and run your wire from there. Typically, it's a 30A with ~8ga wire (pretty heavy), but never put in a fuse heavier than what the wire can handle. There are charts available that show what gauge to use for a given length of wire & current draw. It's OK to use a heavier wire, but that can be $$.

Jurt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay thanks for the tip, i picked up some 10awg which is good for 30A, so ill run it with a 30A circuit breaker. It should go well now!

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks for the tip, i picked up some 10awg which is good for 30A, so ill run it with a 30A circuit breaker. It should go well now!

Most camper refrigerators won't run off of 12v. So unless you have a special fridge don't count on it turning on.....

Jurt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a standard 3 way fridge which can run off 120v ac, 12v dc or propane. I was pretty sure that was a standard design.