1994 GMC Yukon 4x4 no park/neutral switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

400North

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to diagnose an issue with my suv not starting. I think it may be the park/neutral safety switch since it stalled a couple times while changing from park to reverse to neutral and back and now won’t even try to turn over. I looked on the drivers side of my transmission and there doesn’t seem to be a park/neutral position switch/module on the side of the transmission, just a metal fork that connects a metal rod that runs into the engine bay. Does anyone have any ever seen this before?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to diagnose an issue with my suv not starting. I think it may be the park/neutral safety switch since it stalled a couple times while changing from park to reverse to neutral and back and now won’t even try to turn over. I looked on the drivers side of my transmission and there doesn’t seem to be a park/neutral position switch/module on the side of the transmission, just a metal fork that connects a metal rod that runs into the engine bay. Does anyone have any ever seen this before?
The trans-mounted manual lever postion sensors (aka NSS) didnt appear until 1996.

400North

Reaction score
The trans-mounted manual lever postion sensors (aka NSS) didnt appear until 1996.
Okay thank you. I have narrowed my issue down. When I change my column shifter from park to anything else, the shifter linkage on the side of the transmission tunnel doesn’t move at all.

400North

Reaction score
I think it is the neutral safety switch at the bottom backside of the steering column inside the cab, I can hear the plastic teeth grinding and if I change from park to drive 20-30 times it will let me start it.