1994 1500 W/T with bad V6 Vortec. Looking for options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oddpowers

Reaction score
I'm new to the forums, and have looked around a bit. I cant seem to find a good answer on this other than a lot of LS swaps. My boy just bought his grandpas 1994 1500 W/T. It has a 4.3 vortec in it, but is bad. we are looking to swap to a carbureted V8. What are our options. I replaced a few motors before, but always with direct replacement types. We bought a 2001 4.3 votec out of a GMC Jimmy, but nothing is the same.

So now we are looking at a V8 swap. what motor should we be looking for? What do we do about the original truck computer and wiring? will the stock trans work? I just don't know how involved this will get.

Any help you folks can give would be appreciated!! Heres a pic of the truck and my boy (Pickles) getting the 4.3 ready to pull.

Troy

You must be registered for see images

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I want to say (But I've never done it and am not an expert) that you could swap a 350 TBI engine in there with out much effort. The wiring has to be similar and aside from the computer swap maybe you'd need to get the fuel pump from the donor truck as well. Probably easier than trying to go carpitated with it.

oddpowers

Reaction score
What about using the 2001 4.3 we bought. Looks like it would all go in, except the TPI. Not sure what I would do about the wiring for it...

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I did a 4.3 to tbi 350 in my old 94, biggest thing is you have to remove the existing motor mount brackets, and swap the whole ecu with harness. Keep in mind if you do a carb you need to keep the ecu of you want your Speedo to function

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
And I think you can use the newer 4.3 and just swap intakes over if I'm not mistaken, but could be wrong

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
And keep in mind your have to put a bypass regulator in for the fuel pump, since carbs don't need that much psi

oddpowers

Reaction score
Thanks Justin. We are looking at maybe finding a 350 vortec, but may have found direct replacement out of a Astovan.