1993 Yukon crate motor hydraulic roller lifter cleaning and adjustment journey - (Solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little versed in circuit board work and have even tackled some surface mount chips so I am seeing some stuff in there...lol

When I read this earlier I realized that you knew how to look at stuff *that* carefully, which
happens to also be the right level for inspecting after cleaning a set of close-tolerance hydraulic lifters.

Speaking of which, I found a nice exploded diagram of a lifter, with emphasis on how
important cleanliness is. (Not so much for you, but for others who are reading along)

You must be registered for see images attach

(Note: The mention that someone's mom was able to eat off an engine made me happy, for this is also part of my motorhead belief system: Clean enuf to eat off of

Now the reason I'm showing this to you is that when you have one of the next lifters on
your to-do list disassembled, if you could take a similar photo and post that I think it would be
very helpful to all the GMT400 V6 & V8 owners. (Due to the internal differences between
the photo above vs what the Chevrolet V8s have in their lifters.)

For instance, in the example above there is a flat check valve and the oil metering disc has
4 holes in it, whereas your lifter has a ball bearing for a check valve and the metering disc
is a raised stamping?

I think the fear of making sure everything stays with it's specific lifter slows things down... Just about every video out there shows guys just throwing everything in a bucket and coming back the next day and wiping everything down.. mixing all the internal parts....

True dat. The false theory that the internal parts are identical and can be intermingled is a huge
disservice to those who are not versed on how hydraulic lifters are assembled during initial manufacturing
using the 'select fit' methodology. They are the closest-tolerance items in the entire engine, and that's a fact. :0)

Schurkey said it succinctly when he recommended cleaning/servicing these lifters 'one at a time.'
16 lifters x 9 parts per each = 144 individual parts. There's only 1 correct way to put those all back
together, and that's simply the way they showed up on your workbench. And by doing it one at a
time, you are going to regain the precise 'feel' that a worn-in close tolerance lifter has. Like you observed,
"seeing as how they all can move...exactly the same."

Cleaning right away is pretty tough. varnish and carbon everywhere inside..Thanks for the lacquer thinner tip. Alcohol was ok. MEK was ok but it eats through gloves in a couple of minutes...Got tired of using it...

Surely there are specific tools to speed things up but I'm making do.. slowly...
It's incredible these things even work and for as long and hard as they do. Mind blowing to me... Too cool...

Agreed. I developed a lasting appreciation for just how fussy hydraulic lifters are was when I bought a 10 year old
'66 Olds with a 425ci Rocket engine for $350. The car had decent curb appeal...until you started the engine,
and all 16 lifters clattered so bad you would have thought that it had a 30/30 solid lifter Duntov cam in it. :0)

Initially I was just going to replace the noisy lifters with new ones, but one of my mentors told me that my
idea of new lifters on an old cam would be rolling the dice, with a really good chance of lifter failure. He said
that my best bet would be to remove the lifters one at a time, disassemble them, clean them in a carburetor
cleaner dunk tank, reassemble them, and put it all back together.

Guess what? It took me a whole weekend to do this. And sure enough the lifters were sticky coming apart due
to the accumulated varnish...but after it was all said and done it worked! So I guess that you can file this whole
exercise under the fact that I would not recommend doing something to your engine that I haven't already
personally done to one or more of my own engines. :0)

Yeah it was number 1 intake that's the rainbird...

...Everything is looking really good. Insides are pretty much back to close to new and working great. It's neat to see the rods push the plunger. Now all the talk of watching the plunger when setting zero lash makes sense seeing as how they all can move...exactly the same

Stay vigilant and look for trouble. While there are a huge number of flat tappet failures being discussed,
there are way fewer roller lifter/Vortec motor failures being discussed. But I did manage to find a bad roller
cam out of a 7.4L Vortec engine. For reference purposes, check this out:

You must be registered for see images attach

(credit: pelicanparts.com -- read thread here: (mashed BBC Vortec cam lobe failure)

Note the heavy varnishing evident. Best reason that was kicked around was there was an underlying issue not
allowing the valve to travel the full distance expressed by the cam lobe? (ie: wrong valve spring coil bind or other assembly error)

So although rare, it is possible to experience a roller cam failure.

Assuming you persevere through all 16 roller lifters, and all passes a visual inspection, what next?

You will read both pros & cons of pumping up the lifters before installation. Long story short, if you
were running huge lift and your valve to piston clearances were really tight, then you would install
the lifters empty, carefully set the cold preload to 1/2 turn, and *then* prelube the engine with a
special tool that temporarily replaces the distributor, and allows you to drive the oil pump while
rotating the engine 720° in order to fill the lifters up to the preload level. Even so, there's a
good chance that the engine runs clattery until all the excess air is worked out of all 16 lifters.

My recommendation is based on the fact that you are running a stock cam with stock lift, etc.
What I've always done is to get a metal coffee can and fill it pretty close to the height of the
lifter with your 5W-30 or 10W-30 oil. (ie: A least a little higher than the oil fill hole on the
side of the lifter.)

Using a #3 Phillips or equivalent pump the inner plunger with full strokes until no more air
bubbles comes out of the oil hole on the side. This may take at least 8-12 strokes. If the
lifter is working properly, it will go from easy strokes when empty to tightening up to little
or no movement when it's full of oil and hydraulic lock sets in. (A positive sign.)

Q: Why do it this way?
A: This allows you to verify that all 16 lifters will pump up the same, and also make it
easier for you to be able to perform the cold preload adjustment. If the lifter won't
pump up in the coffee can, you can take it back apart and figure out why the all-important
check ball isn't seating correctly? Or possibly the internal walls of the lifter are scratched/scuffed
to the point where the oil leakage past the plunger is way out of specification?

In any case, it's way better to find any problems now, instead of after putting it all back
together, firing up the engine...and that lifter won't shut up. :-(

By the way, assuming that you get all 16 lifters to pump up, when you go to install
them make sure and lube the rollers generously with engine oil. (Maybe a quick soak
so that the needle bearings get to start out fully lubricated.) Also be sure to lube
both ends of each pushrod, and also the rocker arm pivot socket and ball surfaces.

(Note: Bonus points for rolling each pushrod on a flat surface (piece of glass) and
listen for the tick tick tick of a bent pushrod. Assuming no bad pushrods are found,
lube them up as previously described and proceed with the cold lash adjustment.

And only after you are done should you give the rocker arm stud threads a quick
cross-check, comparing what you have now with what you documented earlier.
(Looking for gross errors, not fine adjustments.)

Apologies for the length, but it looks like you are making strong progress, and
just wanted to give you some stuff to think on while you are busy cleaning all
the precision internal bits.

With any luck, today should be a banner day for your Yukon.

Cheers --

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you could take a similar photo and post that I think it would be
very helpful to all the GMT400 V6 & V8 owners. (Due to the internal differences between
the photo above vs what the Chevrolet V8s have in their lifters.)

For instance, in the example above there is a flat check valve and the oil metering disc has
4 holes in it, whereas your lifter has a ball bearing for a check valve and the metering disc
is a raised stamping?
#8 Intake..off to go grab some more lacquer thinner.... It's definitely the best out of what I've tried....

Attachments

• 93 Yukon Lifter Assembly.jpg
    93 Yukon Lifter Assembly.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 11

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While you've got it all apart (again :biggrin:), thoroughly clean and inspect the pushrods, if you haven't already, to ensure they can deliver oil properly to the rockers. (Sorry if you've done this and I missed it).

Edit: Check them for flatness as well using a piece of glass to roll them on.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How is it going? Just checking in to verify all is going to plan
It's going. What's that saying? If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans....
Definitely wasn't my plan to spring clean my office, disconnecting stuff that will take hours to redo and move furniture around .....lol

Hide and seek with a BB , and the one picture that reminds me of playing that search game in the Highlights magazines we used to get when I was a kid, actually taught me some valuable lessons....

I can see being in a pristine clean room when working on stuff being useful if for nothing other than to be able to find something...
Was thinking a white padded room could even serve double duty...

I'll hopefully have a decent update by the end of the day.
I'll should just copy/paste this message to my client who thankfully is a long time friend .
All is well.
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG20240310150336.jpg
    IMG20240310150336.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG20240310123911.jpg
    IMG20240310123911.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 7

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's going. What's that saying? If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans....
Definitely wasn't my plan to spring clean my office, disconnecting stuff that will take hours to redo and move furniture around .....lol

Hide and seek with a BB , and the one picture that reminds me of playing that search game in the Highlights magazines we used to get when I was a kid, actually taught me some valuable lessons....

I can see being in a pristine clean room when working on stuff being useful if for nothing other than to be able to find something...

I'll should just copy/paste this message to my client who thankfully is a long time friend .
All is well.
Thank you!

Dude, I am laughing *with* you. I have sooooooo been there. Same thing has
happened to yours truly, and was the inspiration to write about all the places I
wouldn't recommend to do this. (And of course I had to learn this for myself
the hardest possible way...but the memories are still so fresh that I was sure to
include that warning about the spring loaded bits.) :)

Good on you for sharing the wealth (warts and all) in this great status report. I feel
that sharing the real world snafus like this with other GMT400 owners as a cautionary
tale that may help them avoid what's happened to both you & I.

EDIT: I was reviewing the parts group photo in your reply, and I didn't see the tiny ball
bearing preload spring? Couldn't help it, and was starting to feel that old rising pressure
of having to call Expo about a MIA part/FOD issue?

But after blowing up your pic I saw the tiny spring hiding inside the larger one.
"Disregard my last." Phew! ;0)

God speed scott2093. :waytogo:

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In my dream world, off of my regular working shop space would be a dedicated engine final
assembly room, including the peelable sticky doormat at the doorway (to clean the soles of your shoes)
and the room held at a positive pressure with finely filtered air. (So that every time you open the door
the air blows OUT of the room.) I've worked in labs with these features, and they are surgically clean,
brightly lit, and stripped of everything but the task essentials -- so as you can imagine this workspace
was ideal for finding stuff after you dropped it.

But here in the real world a reasonable approximation is to temporarily tape down a cheap gray
king size bedsheet on the ground, and bonus points for surrounding your area with one or more
of the $4 Walmart flimsy clear shower curtains. Especially on a rough garage floor, just having
the bedsheet on the floor for the finesse work like this makes it so much easier when the reassembly
process goes off script.

And a tool that's proven itself to be a project lifesaver when you are working in the driveway with a lawn adjacent,
an unusual fastener gets dropped and you simply can't find it? See attached to check out the affordable
wheeled magnetic sweeper. At first glance it looks like a gimmick, but I bought one out of desperation...and
it worked!

NOTE: There are better ones available for more money, but this is a decent proof of concept device.
(Or if you want to mow the yard after the house had it's roof stripped off, replaced & now how to deal
with all of the old nails that fell and are now in hiding. :0)

Touché. :0)

All is well.
Thank you!

Take your time. Know that you've got a handful of fellow enthusiasts around the world rootin' for ya
to finish this valvetrain surgery successfully.

Cheers --

Attachments

• 17 In. Mini Magnetic Sweeper - Harbor Freight.jpg
    17 In. Mini Magnetic Sweeper - Harbor Freight.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good on you for sharing the wealth (warts and all)
Yeah, something like cleaning the lifters shouldn't be used in the context of "hey, while I'm doing the intake gaskets..."..and especially as an afterthought or project creep as you called it..
It's a major undertaking that calls for a lot more planning and preparedness than I had anticipated. Workspace, note taking,pictures and videos... Murphy's Law is strong with this one...
At least now I know what to use to make my garage floor coating that I've been wanting to redo come up easier....

Speaking of sharing and possibly helping others , it's been on my mind to open up a little more since talking with my Son yesterday as we were coming back from Ace with more thinner.. This will be somewhat long but I'll get back on track.

We were getting around the corner from the house and saw someone was working under their Jeep in their driveway. Well, a bunch of stuff was under the truck. Most driveways in here are pitched pretty good. I think it used to be a swamp back here and I remember looking at the flood plain? maps a couple of years ago after some serious flooding following a hurricane and I suspect there's a reason houses are somewhat elevated in areas. Including ours.
Anyway, they looked to be doing something semi major, not just changing the oil, and they didn't have the tires blocked. I still feel bad not asking my son to turn around to go hopefully convince them to use something.

About 3 years ago I was changing out my u-joints in the Yukon. Our driveway is pitched like I mentioned so I used to sneak in the flat road in front of my house when I had something to do that wouldn't take too long. Years ago you used to be able to be in the street, but the County here put no parking signs up and limited where you could park. There are about 5 signs just in view of our front window..lol..You could probably make a killing here during holidays offering valet services for people's guests that have nowhere to park..

Anyway, I was putting the driveshaft back on and my neighbor, who's wife has somewhat been vocal in the past about parking where we shouldn't be, asked if I was almost done because he wanted to wash his car. I told him to go ahead, the water wouldn't bother me since it runs on the side down to the gutter anyway. He said no, I'll wait til you're finished.
So I hurried up and strapped the rear straps on and that was that.

A few days later I had some other issues (too long of a story itself) and was looking for a driveshaft. You may be able to figure out what scenarios rushing putting straps on u joints could leave open. Don't.

Went to the parts store and got one. So now I'm in the driveway to avoid any hard feelings. I've since cleared my garage and can work in there but, at the time, this wasn't the case. Of course I blocked the tires. Driveshaft didn't fit so had to go get another one. Had to get it ordered for next day and that one didn't fit. So they talk me into a different brand and, although it seemed unreasonably tight, they said because it is supposed to seal, I kept with it. Went out of town for work and the drive was terrible on the highway. Lots of vibrations.
So I head back into town and call the parts store on my way back home to see what they could do. They said they had one more, not a premium line but I couldn't go grab it on my way in. I had to go home and remove the driveshaft and bring it to them.

This was March 11, 2021. Exactly 3 years ago...similar time frame...think it was around 6pm actually..

I'm not a mechanic. I was usually pretty uncomfortable working on our cars but I tried because we had terrible experiences with the dealerships and private mechanics alike. I'm more experienced now as I've specifically focused a lot more on learning since.
But at this point I felt like a pro, taking the driveshaft off and installing it so many times in such a short period gave me some confidence. So I'm under the truck and popping the back straps off of the u joint. That goes good and then the driveshaft is fighting me pretty good. I grab a big screwdriver I use for a little prying and make progress but it's still putting up a big fight. I'm thinking all the vibration from the highway driving must have tweaked something. So my truck is backed in the driveway and I'm laying under the driver's side working at getting the driveshaft free and it finally busts free with a loud crack. And then the sound of slow rolling tires starts. You know that rolling sound. The sand or small debris as it gives way under the weight of the tires.
It haunts me every time I hear it. That slow rolling sound the ground and tires make...

So I'm thankfully under the truck just inside the tires and grab the axle to try and stop the truck from rolling over the apron , the sidewalk and street. People walking their dogs all the time and my neighbor's 90 something year old mother had just passed by with her walker not 3 minutes earlier.
I remember turning my head to look towards the sidewalk to make sure nobody was coming and, when I did, the force of the truck basically took my odd angle of hands on the axle and head turned and folded me in half and I guess tangled up with the now hanging driveshaft.
My truck sits high enough to work under but the differential cover is maybe a foot off the ground if that and that wanted some action too..
So obviously there were a lot of pops and cracking sounds. I remember thinking, really? This is how I die? I The first words that came screaming out of my mouth were actually, omg I'm dying.

My neighbor heard me scream and came to help. It's unclear what happened ultimately where the truck finally rolled over me but, it had finally wedged me enough in between everything , me and the ground where it stopped on me. That point is where it got weird but, not really something to get into but, I'm here thank God.

Bunch of staple and stitches, 2 broken ribs and vertebrae later. But I got some titanium upgrades.

Maybe it needs to be brought up every now and then, maybe not.
If it isn't obvious, I forgot to block my tires. I was in such a hurry and so comfortable with doing that certain task, that it didn't occur to me. I mean, the truck was in park.. Yeah, not a mechanic..
Strangest thing is that I've never worked on my vehicles so much . It's like I can't get away from it . Especially my truck..lol

It's fascinating to me. Being interested in electronics has a certain familiarity to it. I mean, you can wire something point to point and it'll work regardless of how it looks. Nobody is ever going to look inside the case usually.
With the vehicles, it's a thankless task reserved for those that appreciate the details that go into what makes these things tick, regardless of if anyone ever gets to see the parts.
I'll be back with an update on the truck. Going to walk the dogs for a few...
Weird that it's my anniversary and I'm working on this thing...lol

Stay safe
Scott

Attachments

• 20210426_133848_HDR.jpg
    20210426_133848_HDR.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_19481.jpg
    IMG_19481.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 9
  • march21 accident1.jpg
    march21 accident1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 9

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So all the lifters are cleaned. And cleaned well, It's very easy to see where issues can happen with junk being built up and just as incredible that things even work. Such impressive machining. Wonder who made these lifters? I mean they all work like new now and every one pumped up.

I can't help but think about all the liquid fixes in a can and all that. I mean, sure? To some degree maybe but to put straight lacquer thinner and it scoffs at it.?..

It would be cool to see some of the tools out there for good cleaning of bores and such I had a Hazard Fraught brush set that has a little wisp brush as part of the set and it's pretty handy. If it were better quality and constructed differently, that would be a nice tool. I just snipped off some of the handle and put in in my drill.

Came across some company BRM that has some nice stuff it looks like. Make honing tools apparently...

Cutting up slices of padding for scrubbing was nice too. I used the white polishing pads so as not to scratch anything . Would be nice to know how aggressive you can go and be ok?
Would make quicker work for sure.. I'd just cut like a 1/2" strip however long and fold it in half. Then shove a flat screwdriver down the middle of it and push in and twist..
Kinda like those flat tire plugs. The screwdriver catches and wraps itself in the pad and you can twist without worrying it'll touch the bores...

don't worry, that's oil in the one pic. Not water...

One more thing...

Attachments

• IMG20240310150712.jpg
    IMG20240310150712.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20240311140144_01.jpg
    IMG20240311140144_01.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG20240310150529.jpg
    IMG20240310150529.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG20240311145016.jpg
    IMG20240311145016.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 6

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a rough day yesterday and I think it was around midnight or so when I was making my way through the driver's side bank.

I would pull 2 lifters and it's associated rockers etc, start soaking one set , put one aside, and peak down the bores with the scope.

When I got to number 3 intake , it looked weird. Fat white line as opposed to the one running down the middle I was used to seeing. Stuck my finger in there and felt. Realized it must have been at the top of it's travel because I could feel the narrower point if that makes sense. Didn't feel anything weird so just assumed it was the way the light was reflecting... Everything was going so good, I didn't want to be negative for no reason and I was already too far behind to stop after committing myself to work through the night to make up for the chaotic day.

I made a note to check #3 today and continued with the rest of the lifters. Actually had to finish #8 exhaust today.....

So I believe I was wrong in assuming. What's interesting to note as well is that, in the lifter valley, there was one spot that kept standing out to me as built up with crusted material. Actually thought it was a casting thing but scratched at it and it comes off.
That spot is directly beside #3 intake.

From what I can tell, material is vanishing. I don't see anything catastrophic but you can see brass color showing through where it should be silvery if I had to describe...I don't know how these things are made so, it will be nice to understand .

Tough to get good pics..I'll add some more in next post... Maybe they make sense

Pretty weird day...lol

Attachments

• IMG20240311053400_01.jpg
    IMG20240311053400_01.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG20240311054301_01.jpg
    IMG20240311054301_01.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG20240311142856.jpg
    IMG20240311142856.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG20240311144621.jpg