1993 C1500 Stepside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheap Heap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had some fun times replacing the fuel pump a few weeks ago. It wouldn't have been too bad but I got a bad ACD EP381 pump from RockAuto. I spent a lot of time troubleshooting the bad pump, I finally ordered another one and it was plug and play.

I was able to figure out why my gas gauge didn't work and why I could always smell raw gas. Whoever installed the last pump did a complete hack job. The gasket that seals the sending unit to the tank and fallen down around float in the bottom of the tank, so the float was constantly submerged in the gas and there was no gasket between the sending unit and the tank so the whole pump was loose in the tank. The retaining ring was also upside down, probably why the gasket ended up down by the float, so there was no way it was going to seal properly. The vent hose for the filler was never hooked up and the clamp for the filler was also loose. This in addition to the gas lines that needed tightening back when I bought the truck just screams complete hack job. Luckily, this is the only hack situation I've seen on the truck. Everything else is still pretty tight. I also installed a new fuel filter.

Anyway, no more gas smell, my gas gauge works and I have enough pressure for a LS motor down the road so I'm a happy camper.

I was hoping this would solve my random stumble at idle when warm, it's better but it seems like I still have a hard miss sometimes when sitting at a stop light. I need to get a timing light and check the timing. Other than that, the truck is running better than ever.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach