1990 Z-71 Removing Frame rust and protecting it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKMcBride

Reaction score
After removing my old truck bed I noticed that much of the frame has surface rust.
Before I install a new bed I plan to remove the rust and then paint/undercoat the frame.
(1) Other than sand blasting does anyone know of another method of removing the rust?
(2) I vaguely remember a product that turned the rust into a primer which would then be able to be painted does anyone know the name of the product and if it works?
(3) Also does anyone know what would be the best or good product paint/undercoating to keep the rust from reoccurring?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Wire wheel it, wire brush it, flap wheel it. A combination of attacks is needed.

As for magic paint over rust products, POR15, and Chassis Saver are two that I have used, they don't work long term.

Rustoleum Heavy Rust primer followed by the paint of your choice works just as well.

JKMcBride

Reaction score
Wire wheel it, wire brush it, flap wheel it. A combination of attacks is needed.

As for magic paint over rust products, POR15, and Chassis Saver are two that I have used, they don't work long term.

Rustoleum Heavy Rust primer followed by the paint of your choice works just as well.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can also consider using phosphoric acid (I think it is also called naval jelly, rust mort, and other names). This reacts chemically with the rust, and neutralizes it. It comes out black. Before you use it, I'd have a chat with a body shop veteran, someone who's been involved in restoration work, just to be sure it's right for you. The process is called phosphating, as near as I can recall, but if I've made a boo boo in this post, I'm sure another forum member will help out.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Normal every day vinegar also does an awsome job dissolving rust! it just takes some time. Just keep spraying it down every hour for a day or two and it will remove a good majority for you.

I use it on a lot of small things and after a night of soaking submerged the rust is completely gone!