1990 C1500 700r4 Not shifting past second gear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uzgaro

Reaction score

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely the 3-4 clutches are worn enough they won't engage. I would inspect the TV cable and try adjusting it if that doesn't work will probably need a rebuild. I am in the middle of rebuilding the 4l60 in a 2000 Escalade I picked up that suffered from burnt up 3-4 clutches.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally skimmed through it. There's no apply chart, but pages 73-81 give you the info you need to open up a spreadsheet and make your own apply chart. That said, the devil's in the details.

If the transmission makes the 1-2 shift, the governor is likely not the problem.

According to the apply chart I made, the 2-4 servo shifts the transmission into second, but isn't required for third gear. BUT! If you read page 45, the 2-4 servo has to receive release pressure to allow the shift into 3rd.

So, it could be your servo. It could be your 2-3 shift valvetrain. It could be your 3-4 clutch.

If you're thinking about swapping in a Corvette servo and your fluid looks good, it might be worth a shot. If you want to rebuild, or you've been towing a lot, or you have trash in your fluid, rebuild it.

** NOTE **
I can read the manual, but I've only ever rebuilt one TH700R4, and that was in a transmission class.