1989 GMC SIERRA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey fellas

I'm getting my old 1989 Sierra back in a few weeks. Again. For the second time. This time to stay.

Looks like it's goi g to need a rebuild. Currently the original motor has almost 400,000 miles. It's never been apart. I never even touched the TBI unit. But I live in California so I got smog to deal with. Is there any local shop or a engine builder in the Corona area that could be trusted to rebuild or replace the old engine. I'm goi go repaint and basically go through the whole truck. Right now it's burning oil and the AC quit. But the bench seat has to go and I'm going go do some body work and fix30 years of dents
I'm goi go take off the 33s and go to a sport truck look. It had 4:56 gears but I think at some point it went to 4:10s so 275/60/15 all the way around or 295/50/15 rear and 275/60/15 in the front would be ok. Found some torque/thrust wheels on eBay .

I'm not looking to go smack Lightnings but having some additional power would be nice. Once I get the truck back I'm gonna do a compression check see what's wrong. Not sure why it started burning oil but at near 400,000 I don't think it really matters.
Would you guys bother rebuilding a 400,000 mile block?

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yup true. I was just wondering if there was a hey check this why the large oil consumption. Anyway I'll know more when I get it down here next week. Thanks guys