1988 K2500HD. 12V 6bt Cummins OR LS Swap? Which should I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
I have an '88 Chevy K1500 with a TBI 305 and NV3500 5spd. I recently swapped a 92 GMC K2500HD frame, suspension, and axles into it. Truck has 310K miles on the original engine/trans, and I'm currently trying to decide whether to do a 12V Cummins swap, or some sort of LS engine swap. Truck is used as a daily driver/occasional tow rig, and mild off road use, and I plan to use a 5spd tranny.

I was dead set on doing a 12V Cummins swap into it, but now LS engines are starting to grow on me. Looking for decent fuel mileage and power. I have seen plenty of threads about both swaps, but am currently undecided on which to do. I was just offered a steal of a deal on a 92 MT8 NV4500 5spd, which I believe would work well with an LS swap, but I was told it would be quite expensive to adapt it to a 12V Cummins. Trying to decide whether to buy it or not, along with deciding which swap to do.

I know for an LS swap, I will need the engine, computer, harness, engine mounts, possibly a crankshaft spacer (to mate to older 5spd), fuel lines, and fuel pump.

Cummins swap, I will need diesel fuel pickup tube & fuel lines (which I already have left over from my drivetrain swap), engine, probably a dodge transmission (or GM to Dodge adapter plate and flywheel/clutch), engine mounts, and miscellaneous accessory adapters/brackets and stuff. Also, I know the 12V is a pretty tight fit into a 400 engine compartment without a body lift, but I'm planning to keep my truck stock height.

Cost won't be too big of a factor. Even though I am a broke college student right now, either way I go, it will probably be a long process spread out over the next couple of years so that I can spread out the cost and labor time.

What ideas do you guys have to offer?
With an LS swap, what engine would you guys suggest?
How hard would it be to get my stock gauges to work with either swap?
Which swap would be the easiest?

I DO LIVE IN AN EMISSIONS STATE. My county requires emissions testing on all vehicles model year 1981 and newer. With my truck being an 88, all they do is stick the sniffer in the tailpipe. Not sure if I would be required to do any testing if it was registered as a diesel or not. I would imagine passing a tail-pipe-sniffer test with an LS swap would be pretty easy.

SPECS
1988 Chevy Scottsdale Trim
Interior/computer are stock
Original TBI 305
NV3500 (Possibly buying MT8 NV4500)
9.25 Open front
10.5 14 Bolt FF rear
2500HD Suspension

Last edited:

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The thing is. An ls or diesel swap is never cheap. Your looking at atleast 2.5k for an ls swap, and who knows how much for a diesel swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would just wait till you are out of college so you can do it right

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about that. Even after I am out of college it would be a long project I would spread out over time. I just figured get started on it sooner.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright so your not planning on finishing it in a weekend

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Yeah definitely not a weekend swap. Buy an engine, build it up the way I want it, then buy everything else needed over time

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In that case do the cummins swap. Not many people have done it so.

hybrid1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cummins swap!