1967 C20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ebodell67

Reaction score
The build thread on this one is over at gmsquarebody but here are a couple pics of my '67 C20 build. Not a restoration just getting it back on the road after 20+ years. Bit of a backstory. My Dad bought it in the late '80s to haul a slide in camper. We camped all over the west in it. Was a ex-forest service truck that lived in dry Utah for much of it's life hence there is very little rust. Dad replaced it in '93 with the K3500 (which I have now). I bought it from him for the princely sum of $1 and pulled it from his backyard. Last two summers I have been working on it between farm chores. Trying to get it running to take Dad for one more ride in it (he is 89 now). I have a rebuilt 327 ready to be dropped in over the next couple of weeks. So here it is as I first got it and what it looks like now. Bed is misaligned as I have not replaced the wood floor as of yet.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The build thread on this one is over at gmsquarebody but here are a couple pics of my '67 C20 build. Not a restoration just getting it back on the road after 20+ years. Bit of a backstory. My Dad bought it in the late '80s to haul a slide in camper. We camped all over the west in it. Was a ex-forest service truck that lived in dry Utah for much of it's life hence there is very little rust. Dad replaced it in '93 with the K3500 (which I have now). I bought it from him for the princely sum of $1 and pulled it from his backyard. Last two summers I have been working on it between farm chores. Trying to get it running to take Dad for one more ride in it (he is 89 now). I have a rebuilt 327 ready to be dropped in over the next couple of weeks. So here it is as I first got it and what it looks like now. Bed is misaligned as I have not replaced the wood floor as of yet.

Nice truck, I love the family history with it.
What happened to the turbine mags? Those would look cool on my crew cab, too bad you're in Iowa. I have a buddy in Palo, but he's old enough to not mess with cars much anymore. He's originally from Dallas, was high school and college best buddies with one of my best friends in Austin.

ebodell67

Reaction score
Nice truck, I love the family history with it.
What happened to the turbine mags? Those would look cool on my crew cab, too bad you're in Iowa. I have a buddy in Palo, but he's old enough to not mess with cars much anymore. He's originally from Dallas, was high school and college best buddies with one of my best friends in Austin.

I sold the turbines off of it for ~$200 IIRC. Some guy drove up from Missouri to pick them up. I never really liked them much on the truck. I know back in the day they were rather pricey. Tires on them had really good tread but a pre Y2K date code. I found two good take offs at a boneyard and the rear mud tires were donated by my '73 K20.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I sold the turbines off of it for ~$200 IIRC. Some guy drove up from Missouri to pick them up. I never really liked them much on the truck. I know back in the day they were rather pricey. Tires on them had really good tread but a pre Y2K date code. I found two good take offs at a boneyard and the rear mud tires were donated by my '73 K20.
No problem! I just think they look kinda retro and different. Like I'm not "different" and "retro" enough, daily-ing a 27 year old CCLB around Houston....

ebodell67

Reaction score
As promised a bit more information....
Over the holiday weekend I managed to get the new motor dropped into the truck and got the hood back on. I also got some the engine hooked up; T/C to flexplate, T/C cover, starter, radiator and hoses. I don't care for the routing of the upper hose so I will noodle on that for a better solution. I still need to add headers, distributor, electrical (very little of that), and the carb.
I still have a ways to go but it is slowly becoming a full truck again. I still need to do the interior, bed floor, and a list of smaller items.
The work on this one was kinda pushed aside so I could do a bunch of maintenance on the the "new" '97 K3500 chore truck I bought; fluids, brakes, tune up, etc. Hopefully I can make some more progress before harvest and the Iowa winter kicks in. Hopefully I can get her lit off and the cam broken in this year. I budget for project work every year and the kitty is getting a little low. I need to part out the wrecked '73 but that will take some time as well.

Motor in and lined up. F250 in the background is a $200 farm auction special complete with a stuck motor and critter habitat in the cab. That one is next provided I don't find another project (even odds there).

I don't like the upper radiator hose routing. I bought the hose from that was supposed to be for the truck but I think it is for ones with the oil fill on the valve cover. Need to noodle on this a bit.

Some hood alignment issues. They were there before I pulled the hood but are much worse now. I marked the hinge location on the hood but I later removed the hinges from the fenders for access to other areas and neglected to mark those. So.. I am looking at a couple hours of alignment work now.

ebodell67

Reaction score
Got the hood aligned (mostly). Weather looks mild over the next month so I am going to try and give the interior a go as I have most the parts already. Door regulators are very stiff from sitting for 10+ years in the desert heat. I will likely have to pull them completely out and rebuilt/regrease them.
Couple more pics from the weekend.