1500 to 2500 desiel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jiggie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering if i could take my suburban body off the 1500 frame and put it on a 2500 frame from a truck with 4x4 and desiel powertrain or do i have to used a suburban frame? Figure if i find one that runs but is rusted body id spend the same or less than trying to find a clean rust free desiel suburban

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can go 1500 burb to 2500 burb but not burb to truck. If you find a crusty body you will also find a crusty chassis. You would be money ahead to continue searching.

Jiggie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can go 1500 burb to 2500 burb but not burb to truck. If you find a crusty body you will also find a crusty chassis. You would be money ahead to continue searching.
Got ya. I was hoping the truck frame would be the same but id like to save my energy for other work lol. The search will continue lol. Wish i could put a desiel in my 1500 but id proly twist the frame first time i stepped on the gas lol.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn’t call the 6.5L a frame twister. It would probably be just fine in a 1500 SUV frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alot of 1500s came factory with 6.5 and 6.2s. you'd more likely twist the frame pedaling the thing. They're a good enough motor if maintained and not flogged on. You'll like the mpg. Wouldn't worry about installing a wheelie bar though.

Jiggie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alot of 1500s came factory with 6.5 and 6.2s. you'd more likely twist the frame pedaling the thing. They're a good enough motor if maintained and not flogged on. You'll like the mpg. Wouldn't worry about installing a wheelie bar though.
Got ya. Ive never seen a 1500 with a diesel before only the 2500 burbs and 25/3500 trucks. Yea i figure with a 42 gallon tank i should get good distance lol. If i can find a diesel 4x4 with a auto trans in a jy or under a junk body ill ve golden. I figured up today that to replace or rebuild my worn 5.7 and 4l60e trans will cost the same as buying a donor diesel burb and swaping things around. Its just a thought in my mind right now. But would love if the cards played out to follow through with it.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got ya. Ive never seen a 1500 with a diesel before only the 2500 burbs and 25/3500 trucks. Yea i figure with a 42 gallon tank i should get good distance lol. If i can find a diesel 4x4 with a auto trans in a jy or under a junk body ill ve golden. I figured up today that to replace or rebuild my worn 5.7 and 4l60e trans will cost the same as buying a donor diesel burb and swaping things around. Its just a thought in my mind right now. But would love if the cards played out to follow through with it.

For the money you're going to spend, 4bt cummins should be a consideration. More reliable, especially if modded. And could net a little more mileage. Just an idea if you're swapping anyways. 4l60 would probably not be a great choice for any diesel though.

Jiggie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the money you're going to spend, 4bt cummins should be a consideration. More reliable, especially if modded. And could net a little more mileage. Just an idea if you're swapping anyways. 4l60 would probably not be a great choice for any diesel though.
I figured the 4bt would be too small for a big vehicle like the burb. If i could swap a 4l80e even with my 5.7 id do it but for someone like me its over my head lol. Ice seen some threads about the swap tho. Ive just been reading about the burbs and i didnt realize how many different configurations there were lol

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I figured the 4bt would be too small for a big vehicle like the burb. If i could swap a 4l80e even with my 5.7 id do it but for someone like me its over my head lol. Ice seen some threads about the swap tho. Ive just been reading about the burbs and i didnt realize how many different configurations there were lol

4bt's drive fully loaded parachute shaped box trucks down the road at hwy speeds with little effort. And would be more than sufficient power for a burb. Check out 4btswaps.com for some awesome info and builds.