14 Bolt Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Yeah it is an 8 lug. He is unsure of what gears are in it, but I would regear it anyways. Its a complete axle, he was going to build a buggy with it and changed plans.

8 lug doesn't guarantee it being a Full floater. The 14bsf came in 8 lug as well as 6.

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
No but he did say it was a 14ff, 8 lug, he just didnt know what gears were in it.

No problem, just wanted to make sure I threw that out there so you don't get burned on an assumption.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
No problem, just wanted to make sure I threw that out there so you don't get burned on an assumption.

thanks. Since I found this one so cheap I think I might throw it under during the first two weeks of my leave after deployment. Seems like an easy job to start off on before my full SAS. Ive got this thread subbed so I can.

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
thanks. Since I found this one so cheap I think I might throw it under during the first two weeks of my leave after deployment. Seems like an easy job to start off on before my full SAS. Ive got this thread subbed so I can.

Yeah, its a bear of a job to do alone without the proper tools, just because moving the axles sucks (I also had to unload out of a mini-van alone)... other than that it isn't any worse than throwing in a pair of lift blocks.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Yup. Im flipping the shackles as well. And hopefully the new group I am in up here will be able to help me out, especially since I dont have the garage/toos/ect to do it on base. But I dont wanna clutter up the thread, so the rest of my SAS questions will be back on mine

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're an idiot... Here is a direct quote of why I say doing this swap will ruin the output seal... 10 seconds of thinking before you type will take you a LONG way. Big difference between a brand new driveshaft, and one exposed to elements for a couple decades.

Yes, I might be an idiot, but your reading comprehension sucks.
The OP posted that inorder to put a 14 in, he would need a lift (post 1) or his out put seal would be ruined.

further down I post
The pinion on the 14 bolt is longer, pushing the t-case slip shaft further into the output which can destroy the seal and cause the t-case to drain. (which is what I think he was initially trying to say and I quoted above)

Ideally he should be taking measurments of how much slip shaft is exposed at ride height and the distance from u-joint center to u-joint center.

If he only has .75" of slip shaft showing and the new center to center measurement is 1" longer, there is going to be an issue.

you can put any axle into any vehicle you want, just matters how much work you want to invest on doing it properly.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
alright so how much should i need to shorten the driveshaft I'm sure not much