14 bolt SF non Posi to Posi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84cj

Reaction score
There are millions of G80's on the road. Like anything else, we only hear about the bad, which is honestly a small portion. I know of some that have gone well over 200k. One guy I know swears by them and only buys a truck with the G80. There will always be a bad one in every bunch. Most of the g80 blow ups are due to the owner. Burnouts at every stop, running 44's, or just plain ole beating the crap out of the truck. I have one in my SF 14 and have been pleased so far. My driving style isn't super agressive as far as burnouts and I run stock tires. Would I recomend one? it all depends on what it's used for.

84cj

Reaction score
And as far as it unlocking about 15/20mph. From my 'posi' experience in other vehicles, it's a great feature in snow while driving down the road. Instead of just one tire spinning on ice, both spin and the a$$ end wants to kick out. Which can end up with you in the ditch. Now, if you live in an area with no snow, obviously this doesn't apply. :p

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And as far as it unlocking about 15/20mph. From my 'posi' experience in other vehicles, it's a great feature in snow while driving down the road. Instead of just one tire spinning on ice, both spin and the a$$ end wants to kick out. Which can end up with you in the ditch. Now, if you live in an area with no snow, obviously this doesn't apply. :p

Strongly disagree with this, but whatever. To each their own. IMO if you have any kind of skill behind the wheel I'd much rather have traction at both rear wheels and just control the throttle. My G80s have made it almost impossible to climb some snowy hills in the winter with their one tire fire action. Not a fan at all. Might keep idiots out of the ditch but it sure ****** me off.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I will say I have first hand experience with the posi slip in snow, I had an 01 Silverado Z71 with an open diff 10 bolt, and I cracked a spider gear, and the cheap me decided to buy a used gov loc posi unit. the VERY FIRST time I decided to try a burnout, it grenaded into many pieces. After that happened, I bought a new Detroit Truetrac posi unit. The first real road test was my way back to college after Thanksgiving break, and it had snowed quite a bit, and my route back to school had several ups and downs along the way, and very early on, I discovered that in 2wd, trying to climb any sort of incline under moderately normal load would kick the rear end out significantly. I didn't have any weight in the back either. I will say, under normal driving conditions, or in mud/dirt, the truetrac is amazing, but in snow, it did in fact make it worse in 2wd, as I would imagine a gov loc would.

84cj

Reaction score
" I discovered that in 2wd, trying to climb any sort of incline under moderately normal load would kick the rear end out significantly. I didn't have any weight in the back either. I will say, under normal driving conditions, or in mud/dirt, the truetrac is amazing, but in snow, it did in fact make it worse in 2wd, as I would imagine a gov loc would."

Exactly what happens in my Jeep with the TracLoc. I made a 90* turn onto another snow covered road, VERY light acceleration. Next thing I knew, I was facing the way I just came. Full 180 on snow covered icey road.

84cj

Reaction score
" I discovered that in 2wd, trying to climb any sort of incline under moderately normal load would kick the rear end out significantly. I didn't have any weight in the back either. I will say, under normal driving conditions, or in mud/dirt, the truetrac is amazing, but in snow, it did in fact make it worse in 2wd, as I would imagine a gov loc would."

Exactly what happens in my Jeep with the TracLoc. I made a 90* turn onto another snow covered road, VERY light acceleration. Next thing I knew, I was facing the way I just came. Full 180 on snow covered icey road.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I've driven numerous vehicles with Detroit lockers in the winter, I live in Michigan after all. I never put in any diff but a Detroit any more, after spending way too much money on a True Trac that only let me down about 20 years ago.

I never have all these issues lol, hell, my GF Daily Drove my Trailblazer last winter with the Detroit.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
The only time I had issues is when I was trying to drive in 2wd with no weight in the back. In 4wd I never had an issue, it was a tank.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
The only time I had issues is when I was trying to drive in 2wd with no weight in the back. In 4wd I never had an issue, it was a tank.

Yeah, as soon as I start skating around, I pull that lever, I don't screw around trying to make it in 2wd lol.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Thats all I meant. Under the same conditions in 2wd with the open diff, one wheel would just spin and barely pull the wheel, just lose traction. With the truetrac it turned me 90 degrees sideways real quick.