14 bolt help! Small hole in tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billgmcallen

Reaction score
I finally bought a 14 bolt today for 120 bucks. I plan on rebuilding it, but I found a problem while wire brushing rust, there is a 1/8 inch hole in the tube where the old shackles rubbed the tube. What do I do now and has anyone else had this problem?

Billgmcallen

Reaction score
Is it common to have pitting on the tube where the u bolt backer is? I'm planning on mig welding it... just curious if anyone else had the problem. I don't want to scrap it, I've got it looking really good

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nothing should rub the axel tube, the spring mount are welded to it. what are you talking about? either way welding isn't needed, smear rtv or jb weld over the hole and your good.

Billgmcallen

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, the tube was pitted and pretty thin but I ended up welding the hole closed and used quarter inch plate that I welded and bent around the tube to reinforce where the metal had corroded. I def plan on using one of those u bolt reverse kits now