14 bolt FF gear change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm thinking of a gear change. I currently have 3.73s in my 96 K2500, 14 bolt full float. I was thinking of 4.56s. The truck will be used for medium towing, say 5-8K lbs, and very occasional light off roading, maybe 1-2 times a year, on what could be called blue or yellow trails. It currently has 285 tires.

Is this a good ratio for the tire size and use? Or 4.10s, or even stick with 3.73?

It has 155K miles. Is it worth changing the entire carrier, or just the gears for now? I don't plan on getting any bigger tires....these rub terribly as is. It's a massive suburban with only a 3in body lift, so it's not going to be a hard core off road rig. It's got a fresh rebuilt 454 and towing cam. I was just thinking of making it an easier tow with the bigger tires, and a little easier when on the trails.

Has anyone used SVL Drivetrain Products? Looking at summit, SVL has a ring and pinion for $187, while Yukon is $370 and up. G2 is in the middle around 270. Or is this a case of if it's too cheap, it's no good?

This is what I'm looking at:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/svl-2023935/overview/

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
I have 4.56s with 30 inch tires. The engine winds a bit high. But not to bad. I can do 80 on the highway at about 3,000 rpm.

It will tow like no other. With a lousy TBI 454. Get 9.5 mpg, loaded going uphill with 17.5k on the back or unloaded downhill with a tailwind.

Keeping your current carrier should be fine. Most lockers use the stock open carrier in lunchbox format. And the g80 in the FF isn’t as self destructive as its smaller counterparts. And the FF is much easier to set up gears.

Dana seems to back SVL parts. So they can’t be that bad. A quick internet search hasn’t revealed anyone claiming they blew up first time go.

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds good, thanks for the reply. I'm not doing it any time too soon, but planning ahead.