12 Valve Cummins in place of a Detroit 6.5?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6.5-k3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been thinking about doing this swap ever since I bought the 95. I already have the engine, it just needs a rebuild and new injectors. the Chevy already has a NV4500 in it I just need to swap the input shaft out of my dodge NV4500. My question is how would I mount the Cummins to the Chevys engine cross member/motor mounts and what about the electrical so I don't have that stupid service engine soon light on all the time?

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Call auto world mt for the mounts and information on how to modify everything to fit.

As far as the check engine light, I was going to have my computer reflashed so it didn't look for the missing sensors but it was WAY easier to just unplug the light since it is useless with the Cummins in it.

6.5-k3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just read your post Cummins very informative, I just have to talk the wife into letting me keep my 1st gen around so I can pull the engine and input shaft from the trans after I get her truck running right again.

Last edited:

6.5-k3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well its official, im dropping my 91 Cummins into the Chevy after i rebuild and re paint it, I hope to do the swap in less than 6 days, not counting the rebuild time I have a few friends o help with the swap so it should be quick and easy once I have all the necessary hardware on hand.

6.5-k3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I planned on it I will be posting on this site and on dieseltruckresource.com in their conversion section, but its going to be a slow build till I get to the actual swap, I have a few parts and tools to gather first

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock-530