02 delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trstrugar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1994 k1500 with a 5.7l. The guy before me put on headers and true duel 2.5 in exhaust, but the truck will not run correctly because there are no o2 sensors connected. I had a hole cut and a bung welded onto the pipe closest to the plug, and it had no effect. The truck still wants to stall when you start it, and runs extremely rich. There are no cats on the truck so i don't have a frame of reference, but it seems as though where the plug is located, it would be considered downstream. I have not been able to locate any plug for the upstream. My question is if anyone has dealt with this before, and what I can do to get an 02 system or an o2 delete system installed correctly. TYIA

Trstrugar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see. Where exactly would the o2 sensor go in a true duel setup then? Wouldn't the cat normally be right below the manifolds. If this is where the plug is supposed to be I will have to look around for it a little more. The three wire plug I plugged the o2 sensor into was located about midway through the exhaust, right next to the transmission

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
it would have had one converter just after where the two pipes coming off the manifolds connect. The original location of the sensor is about 6 inches or so past the manifold on the driver's side.

Trstrugar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for all of your help and advice. I just have one more question, the stock setup would have the o2 sensor reading from where the pipes connect, and with a duel setup it will only be reading from one manifold, thus half of the gasses. How would I go about getting the correct fuel trip reading in this situation?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't tried this, but IMO you would need to install an X pipe or an H pipe and install the bung there, so that the o2 sensor can read all the exhaust gas. The install of an X, or H pipe would be best as close to the original o2 sensor location. That would be under the passengers side floor about where your feet would be. Again IMO an X pipe would be better that an H pipe.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Thank you for all of your help and advice. I just have one more question, the stock setup would have the o2 sensor reading from where the pipes connect, and with a duel setup it will only be reading from one manifold, thus half of the gasses. How would I go about getting the correct fuel trip reading in this situation?

It does not matter. You can just run the one O2 sensor off one bank. Keep it close to the collector so that it stays hot. It doesn't measure the amount of exhaust, just the amount of oxygen in it. The other bank will go unmeasured, which is fine because the computer or injection system isn't accurate enough to adjust for each cylinder.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
The stock location only reads the driver's side. It assumes that the passenger side is the same. All you need is 1 side. The closest to the header the better. Even if you were to put it where both pipes meet, it wouldn't matter, its not the volume that is measured, its the a/f ratio, so it would just average both sides and change accordingly.

Trstrugar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that is true than I am without a solution again. I replaced the o2 sensor with a brand new one and it literally made zero difference. Still threw all the codes for an o2 sensor as if there wasn't one plugged in