Weird Black Soot in my Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yep, looks to be running rich.

Pull the plugs and post pics of them, cylinders marked. It ALWAYS helps to know what you are driving. ALWAYS.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No, nothing. It doesn’t even smell it’s so weird
Usually means you’re running rich.
Do your eyes burn when it's running and you're down by the pipe?
Check engine light on?

Yep, looks to be running rich.

Pull the plugs and post pics of them, cylinders marked. It ALWAYS helps to know what you are driving. ALWAYS.
Sorry, it’s a 1999 gmc surburban k2500 454! It had a new engine installed a year ago.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you live somewhere where they do emissions testing, but if you do, maybe swing by and they can confirm that's what's happening.
Or don't if they can pull you off the road! Lol
Maybe you have a dead cylinder?
When was the last time plugs were pulled and checked?
Same with the 02 sensor/s?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I had black soot coming out the tail pipe of my Volvo 850. It was a faulty O2 sensor. It read low, and the ECM kept dumping fuel into the combustion chambers trying to correct the mixture, and then it would give up and switch to open loop. 02 sensors don't give a steady voltage, they oscillate up and down between 0 and 1 volt. I graphed the output of my sensor and found it wasn't behaving correctly, so I replaced it, and the problem cleared up. I used a Volvo specific App on my phone to do that, but a real OBD scanner, or maybe one of the generic OBD phone apps would work for you too.

If the O2 sensors check out then start looking at other sensor output.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IF you are always into the skinny pedal and hitting power enrichment frequently that will cause soot buildup. On a vehicle that is gasoline powered and not direct injected, I can tell the way it is being driven merely looking at the exhaust. That is assuming no mechanical problems.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the inside of an exhaust pipe to me.
IF you are always into the skinny pedal and hitting power enrichment frequently that will cause soot buildup.
That explains why that pipe looked totally normal to me.

On a related note, I don't spend a lot of time looking at other car's tailpipes. Reminds me of dogs sniffing each other's butts. :)

Last edited: