Water Pump Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the Tuff Stuff 1675A high volume water pump over 4 years ago. While dismantling the engine for a new short block I noticed it's seeping a little out the weep hole already.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the water pump supposed to spin this easy? Could have sworn it always had more resistance. And it's got a funny eerr sound...little pooter..when first spinning...
Just curious....It's only a couple of months old.... here's a couple of videos....
I guess it obviously has more resistance without the fan on but it's more of a sticky resistance like the mounting flange is getting crusty...idk
My overflow tank hasn't been acting like I'm used to. Doesn't seem to do anything... but temps are registering fine and thermostat kicks in fine.....
seems like I should replace it regardless...??
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using Peak ready to use.
You're paying too much. Premixed "50/50" anti-freeze is half water, and distilled water is about a buck a gallon.

WHICH "Peak" anti-freeze? They've got several formulations.

How much freeze protection do you have? Actual 50/50 concentration should be about -36F, or about -37C.

There's some visible rust-spots on the impeller. Were they there when the pump came out of the box it shipped in? Maybe it's from being packaged with humid air, and sitting on a shelf for two years.

Is the water pump supposed to spin this easy?
"Looks" fine to me. There's going to be some bearing drag, and some seal drag.

Is that the CORRECT fan clutch? Did you install a Heavy-Duty or Severe-Duty clutch on an application that calls for a Standard-duty clutch? I wouldn't expect a fan that small to be driven by a clutch that big.

My overflow tank hasn't been acting like I'm used to. Doesn't seem to do anything.
Verify coolant level in radiator and overflow bottle, and check the rad cap.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that the CORRECT fan clutch? Did you install a Heavy-Duty or Severe-Duty clutch on an application that calls for a Standard-duty clutch? I wouldn't expect a fan that small to be driven by a clutch that big.
I don't know. It's original to the truck when I got it. I remember replacing the clutch maybe 7 years ago with whatever parts store gave me for my year make and model so I guess it's what's supposed to be on it.
Verify coolant level in radiator and overflow bottle, and check the rad cap.
All levels are good. Do have a replacement cap that was put on several months ago... Motorad I think. I used to be able to shut the truck off and see all kinds of action in the overflow. Now nothing happens.
If I slightly loosen the radiator cap while hot ..slightly.... it'll release into the overflow...start bubbling at least....
I'll investigate more....

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pitched down clown horn...speaking of clowns, the fan clutch has tension when the belt is attached to the pulley. That's what I was remembering...lol

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Many of them come just raw cast iron with no paint at all, and you paint it yourself. It's not a piece of styling; it's a functional engine component.

Last one I bought for a gmt400 came from Carquest right before Advance bought them out. Carquest branded box, new/not rebuilt. Got it to replace a NAPA branded new/not rebuilt that had failed with a bearing squeal, got replaced under warranty, and brand new one squealed right out of the box. :(

Richard
Sounds familiar from nearly 20 years ago.. battling the water pump on that gold '93 I'd built for an ex.

Richard

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds familiar from 20 years ago.. battling the water pump on that gold '93 I'd built for an ex.

I think the Duralast I replaced with this one under warranty was about 1 year old. The bearing was binding up a bit in a certain spot. I wouldn't have noticed had I not been getting at my balancer.